So I got myself into a problem 😆

Pics

GirlsHuntToo

Professional Chicken Chaser
Jul 18, 2023
The Keystone State
So.... I am up to 120 chickens and have more on the way and I don't want to be a true farmer. Like staying home and not having a vacation to the OBX every year. But there's no one that can chicken sit so I am thinking about letting my numbers go down for now and still putting that incubator to good use. Selling the chicks to be able to go... because it's getting really expensive to rent a beach house. Do you think if I raised started pullets and hatched and sold chicks I would make money over time? Would I sell any? What should I sell them for?
I am also taking trapping school for coyotes to help a farmer down the road that is having problems with them killing his chickens and dragging them off into the woods. I can sell a coyote hid for 25 dollars each ruffly.
Any opinions are welcome! Thanks for your input!

So.... I am up to 120 chickens and have more on the way and I don't want to be a true farmer. Like staying home and not having a vacation to the OBX every year. But there's no one that can chicken sit so I am thinking about letting my numbers go down for now and still putting that incubator to good use. Selling the chicks to be able to go... because it's getting really expensive to rent a beach house. Do you think if I raised started pullets and hatched and sold chicks I would make money over time? Would I sell any? What should I sell them for?
I am also taking trapping school for coyotes to help a farmer down the road that is having problems with them killing his chickens and dragging them off into the woods. I can sell a coyote hid for 25 dollars each ruffly.
Base your chicks price on breed/rarity, or mix.
Basing price depending breed/Rarity, & mix with juvenile, or adult birds is the more reasonable route with chicks also.

Example is I sold 3, 3 month old Jersey Giant Cross pullets for $5 each last year.

What does your market look like? I see chicks on craigslist being sold for next to nothing. $3-10 each or pullets and layers $10-$20 each.
I’d be curious to hear others advice on what to do during vacation time. I’m gonna be gone for sometime this summer and don’t have a sitter either.

if I raised started pullets and hatched and sold chicks I would make money over time? Would I sell any? What should I sell them for?
Start by looking at Craigslist, or other online or brick and mortar local retail places. Do they sell chickens? If not, is it because there is no market, or would you be the first?

What are the prices? What breeds?

You can set up 30 gallon trash can auto feeders like 5 or 6. You can also get a 30 gal+ plus plastic bin for a chicken waterer with nipples. If you have enough of this set up you can leave for weeks and they would be fine. Use your imagination

I’d be curious to hear others advice on what to do during vacation time. I’m gonna be gone for sometime this summer and don’t have a sitter either.
I've had a neighbor chickensit for me 3 times. But I only have 11 chickens, not 120. She gets the eggs, and I give her a few other goodies in barter.

This neighbor had a heart attack recently (she seems to be recovering ... ok... ish), and she might not be able to do this for me anymore. If so, I'm not sure if I have a backup sitter. I have someone close by who I'd rather NOT have take care of my chickens.

Animals do tie you down. I would be fine not going anywhere, though hubby will disagree.

You could make a TON of money from that! Can I see a picture of your flock(s)? You might want to make sure they are sorted into breeding flocks so you can sell birds that are pure. How many roosters do you have and what breeds?

Back
Top Bottom