Where to sell excess flock member?

Buttons364

In the Brooder
May 4, 2023
Hello all,

I incubated 24 eggs and have had 2 broody hens hatch their eggs as well. I was thinking when I incubated the eggs, based on the time of year, that the chicks would not be hard to sell. I am having trouble selling them and I am looking for advice. I saw that I could sell them on one of the forums on this site, but I was curious of where else I could sell them. Craigslist has died out from what it once was, and Facebook doesn't allow sale of animals. So I was curious if anyone had any suggestions. I believe one of my issues is that they are a barnyard mix and not purebred. I could be wrong about that, but I am not sure. Also what would the suggested price be? I was leaning towards 3 dollars. I will add pictures of them since who can resist looking at chicks. Thank you in advance.

Buttons

Attachments

• 20230316_155949.jpg
    20230316_155949.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230316_160026.jpg
    20230316_160026.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230321_160951.jpg
    20230321_160951.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 3
Hello all,

I incubated 24 eggs and have had 2 broody hens hatch their eggs as well. I was thinking when I incubated the eggs, based on the time of year, that the chicks would not be hard to sell. I am having trouble selling them and I am looking for advice. I saw that I could sell them on one of the forums on this site, but I was curious of where else I could sell them. Craigslist has died out from what it once was, and Facebook doesn't allow sale of animals. So I was curious if anyone had any suggestions. I believe one of my issues is that they are a barnyard mix and not purebred. I could be wrong about that, but I am not sure. Also what would the suggested price be? I was leaning towards 3 dollars. I will add pictures of them since who can resist looking at chicks. Thank you in advance.

Buttons
Cute chicks! Have you tried Craigslist? I am not super far from you and I only list on there and sell all I hatch and people wanting more. I usually sell for $3 a piece. Also there is a North Georgia poultry group on fb. My mom has sold some extras on there. I think there is a work around where people just post pictures and say ‘up for discussion’ or some such thing and people pm for details. I haven’t used that myself but you could look into it.

Cute chicks! Have you tried Craigslist? I am not super far from you and I only list on there and sell all I hatch and people wanting more. I usually sell for $3 a piece. Also there is a North Georgia poultry group on fb. My mom has sold some extras on there. I think there is a work around where people just post pictures and say ‘up for discussion’ or some such thing and people pm for details. I haven’t used that myself but you could look into it.
Ah that might be my issues. As soon as I posted on facebook, and I mean literally as soon as I finished the post, it was taken down. What section are you posting to on Craigslist? I found a couple groups on Facebook a minute ago so we shall see. It's infuriating to me that I cannot get these chicks sold, but other posts want 8 or 10 dollars a chick and it seems to be working. Thank you for replying to my post and for your input.

Josh

Ah that might be my issues. As soon as I posted on facebook, and I mean literally as soon as I finished the post, it was taken down. What section are you posting to on Craigslist? I found a couple groups on Facebook a minute ago so we shall see. It's infuriating to me that I cannot get these chicks sold, but other posts want 8 or 10 dollars a chick and it seems to be working. Thank you for replying to my post and for your input.

Josh
You’ll get them sold. There is high demand for chicks. It just might take finding the right path. I post on the farm and garden section on Craigslist. I rarely have any even to post because they end up pre sold be for they hatch. The times I’ve had people flake and had to post a batch they have sold within a day or two. One tip is if your selling them strait run be sure to spell out that it’s a mix of make and female and you don’t know the gender. Before I explained that I was still getting contacted by lots of people wanting just hens.

Do you think that the term barnyard mix is a turn off to people? Could that be one of the possible issues? Another I feel issue I think I have is my descriptions are too lengthy and complicated. When you say spell it out, you are meaning to clarify that it is and not just add the phrase straight run. That makes sense I feel like I run into the same issue calling them a barnyard mix.

Craigslist has died out from what it once was
Cute babies! :love

They sell all day long every day here.. depending heavily on breed and price. Farm and Garden section of CL.. I update or repost either after my post has left the first page or twice per week hitting key days/times depending on the volume of posts being added and what day I posted the previous week.. For example be sure to hit mid Saturday morning one week and early Sunday another.. Noting that to me folks who post and repost every day fully knowing CL rules just seem desperate and devalued.

To me $3 is a very reasonable price.. and I cannot really produce them for cheaper. (we aren't getting the volume discount the big guys do on feed, etc) However, when I can go buy purebred sexed chicks for $5 at the feed store with known lay volume etc and not (in theory) have to deal with extra roosters.. it's a bit of a hard sell.. so timing might be another factor.. early/late in the season say October-February.. NO local feed store (here) has chicks. Some not until April. So based on time of year.. there's a ton of options and competition right now.

But yes.. to me barn yard cross are useless (with exception to genetic diversity) and rarely sell for more than a few bucks a piece. Plus I won't touch broody hatched chicks with a hundred foot pole.. Broody's aren't incubators with no feelings.. they are hopeful mums to be. The main reason though is too much risk of disease that hasn't yet been discovered.

Pure bred birds.. sell for $8, 10, 15+ each, unsexed.

What's harder to sell (in my area) is bantams unless they're Silkies, pure and not crossed.

It's infuriating to me that I cannot get these chicks sold, but other posts want 8 or 10 dollars a chick and it seems to be working.
I cannot believe the CRAP being sold this year and am also very frustrated by it, ya, someone asking $10 for barnyard cross.. it's simply the whole avian flu culling fall out (egg prices) that's giving these folks one good selling season/year.. but it won't last.

That being said.. I wonder if it's about perceived value.. *maybe* you need to up your price to be seen as more valuable?? The opposite of what seems to make sense. Up your price and offer a discount above a certain volume?

Both of my LFS (local farm stores) and TSC have posting boards available.

One of my LFS even sells local chicks and eggs.. which of course means I don't shop there anymore because I care about bio-security. But it might be a good option for you.

Maybe hit up your local farmers market and see if someone let you put up a sign at their booth.. or take them out to the corner on your local farmers market day??

Anyways, just some thoughts and ideas. Best wishes on your chick hatching and selling adventures! :fl

What is your description? Lengthy posts are a definite turn off for me.. if not describing something good. Most should include possible rooster and possible mums that were in the mix.

Back
Top Bottom