I need a chicken id.

Hi, I am new to this forum, and I have a bird that seems to be a domesticated Chicken/Quail of some sort. Or at least I think so, but I will leave the identification up to you experts.
Today, north central Texas, hiding in the shade. Sorry for the less than great pics it was in a bad spot.
Thanks!
Looks to be a juvenile female pheasant.

Thanks for quick reply!
I am not sure if you are saying a domestic Pheasant or Partridge, or you think it is a wild bird. I am pretty confident it is not something wild, do to that I am a birder, and know the local wild birds quite well. The only ground bird we have here are Northern Bobwhites and they have a strong face pattern among other things.
Hopefully someone else will know something.
Thanks again.
Wow! Bobwhites are rare where I live. We only have Gambel/Valley quail here. I know that a few years ago our road was stocked with turkey before though. The bird looks sick...or hurt

That bird doesn't look like its in good shape. Can you possibly take it in, give it a safe quiet place to recover and find its owner?

I agree. It looks like it is in serious distress. I would intervene-- pheasants are not a native species, so there are no laws against that.

Thank you everyone. It is totally possible that someone is stocking them for hunting purposes.
As to helping it, I tried to catch it unsuccessfully, also several people had tried to help it already.
Thank you every one.
Wow! Bobwhites are rare where I live. We only have Gambel/Valley quail here. I know that a few years ago our road was stocked with turkey before though. The bird looks sick...or hurt

Bobwhites aren't common here either. 😉

Thank you everyone. It is totally possible that someone is stocking them for hunting purposes.
As to helping it, I tried to catch it unsuccessfully, also several people had tried to help it already.
Thank you every one.

Are you a photographer as well? (if you dont mind me asking)

Thank you every one.

Can you setup a simple live trap? Use a Rubbermaid container, and prop it up with a stick, then tie some string to that. Bait with food and wait. You'll have to do a lot of waiting, but once it goes in there for food, pull the string and down goes the container. 🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom