I need a Chow Chow recipe, got one?

Quote:
Yes actually I would be interested in having it. I'm looking for an easy recipe that has cabbage in it. But I can always just add the cabbage, cant I ?

Hello, I'm a little slow and late posting on this but I'm fairly new to all this. Although I must say..."I am lovin it all"
big_smile.png
The recipe with the gallon of goodies sounds wonderful but a bit much for my "wee family" so this is what I will use. I hope to do a lot of pickling and canning this season, even though I've never done it before. I'm so excited to get my hands in it all, can't wait for the garden to start bearing and I can harvest and make some goodies!

Recipe I'll use is as follows:

Green Tomato Jalapeno Chow Chow Recipe
Serves/Makes: 6 half-pints

Ingredients:
12 green tomatoes, cored and quartered
3 medium green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
3 medium red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
3 medium yellow bell peppers, seeded and chopped
3 medium onions, peeled and quartered
1 cup fresh jalapenos, stemmed and chopped
2 cups water
2 cups cider vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt

Directions:

In a food processor, fitted with a metal blade, pulse the tomatoes 10 times. Pour the tomatoes into a large nonreactive saucepan.

Add the peppers, onions and jalapenos to the processor and pulse the vegetables about 10 times. Add the mixture to the tomatoes. Stir in the vinegar, water, sugar and salt.

Over high heat, bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes.

Remove from the heat and spoon into 1/2-pint preserving jars, filling the mixture to within 1/2-inch of the top. With a clean damp towel, wipe the rim and fit with a hot lid. Tightly screw on the metal ring. Process in a hot water bath for 15 minutes.

Using tongs, remove the jars and place on a towel to cool. Test the seals. Tighten the rings. Store in a cool dark place. Let age 2 weeks before using.

This recipe from CDKitchen for Green Tomato Jalapeno Chow Chow serves/makes 6 half-pints

Hello, I'm a little slow and late posting on this but I'm fairly new to all this. Although I must say..."I am lovin it all"
big_smile.png
The recipe with the gallon of goodies sounds wonderful but a bit much for my "wee family" so this is what I will use. I hope to do a lot of pickling and canning this season, even though I've never done it before. I'm so excited to get my hands in it all, can't wait for the garden to start bearing and I can harvest and make some goodies!

Recipe I'll use is as follows:

Green Tomato Jalapeno Chow Chow Recipe
Serves/Makes: 6 half-pints

Ingredients:
12 green tomatoes, cored and quartered
3 medium green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
3 medium red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
3 medium yellow bell peppers, seeded and chopped
3 medium onions, peeled and quartered
1 cup fresh jalapenos, stemmed and chopped
2 cups water
2 cups cider vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt

Directions:

In a food processor, fitted with a metal blade, pulse the tomatoes 10 times. Pour the tomatoes into a large nonreactive saucepan.

Add the peppers, onions and jalapenos to the processor and pulse the vegetables about 10 times. Add the mixture to the tomatoes. Stir in the vinegar, water, sugar and salt.

Over high heat, bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes.

Remove from the heat and spoon into 1/2-pint preserving jars, filling the mixture to within 1/2-inch of the top. With a clean damp towel, wipe the rim and fit with a hot lid. Tightly screw on the metal ring. Process in a hot water bath for 15 minutes.

Using tongs, remove the jars and place on a towel to cool. Test the seals. Tighten the rings. Store in a cool dark place. Let age 2 weeks before using.

This recipe from CDKitchen for Green Tomato Jalapeno Chow Chow serves/makes 6 half-pints

I don't recall the chowchow I ate as a kid having cabbage. Here's a PA Dutch recipe that's a little different:

Chowchow with beans

Ate it when I was about 12, hate it nowadays though. Tastes a bit like bread-n-butter pickles, only with lots of different veggies.

What I grew up knowing as Chow Chow was a Pa Dutch thing, a little different than what you mention.

Cucumber Chow-Chow
1 doz. large cucumbers, 4 large onions, and I small sharp pepper, cut fine, and lightly salted over night. In the morning squeeze out, add 1 small bunch of celery cut fine, some celery seed, and yellow.mustard seed. Cover with vinegar and heat all together, but do not let come to a boil. Seal hot in glass jars.

Corn Chow-Chow

1 quart of vinegar, 1 quart of string beans, 1/2 doz. red peppers, 1 pint of lima beans, 1 pint of small onions, 1 doz. ears of corn, 2 tablespoonfuls of salt, 1/2 lb. of sugar, 1/4 lb. of mustard. Mix mustard and vinegar and bring to a scald. Cook separately the corn, onions, and beans till tender. Put all the ingredients together, boil only five minutes and seal.

Chow-Chow, Berks

6 large white onions, 6 large sweet peppers, red and green, 1 head of cabbage, 1/2 peck green tomatoes, 2 doz. medium sized cucumbers, 1 bunch celery, 1 head cauliflower, 1 pint small onions, and about 50 little pickles.

Slice the onions, cabbage and tomatoes on slaw cutter. Cut the peppers and cucumbers into small pieces. Put all of rise with cauliflower into strong salt water and boil until tender but not too soft. Then drain well through a sieve or colander. Put back into the kettle with the small onions, celery, and little pickles. The small pickles should stand in salt water several times before adding. Add to this i pound of white mustard seed, tablespoonful of celery seed, handful each of cinnamon bark and whole allspice, some mace and pint of grated horseradish, I gallon of cider vinegar.

Mix up some yellow mustard and add half a teaspoonful of turmeric, sweeten with brown sugar to taste. Mix all well and let come to a boil, then pack in jars, having the pickle well covered with the vinegar

Ok Tracked down my recipe:
Green tomato chow chow
1 Gallon Green Tomatoes-ground
1 Small head of Cabbage-ground
8 medium onions-ground
3 hot peppers or 6 sweet peppers-with at least one red pepper for color (I use a combo)
1/2 C. Salt
Combine above veggies in a large bowl then sprinkle with salt and allow to set 1 hour.

3 pints white vinegar
4 C. Sugar
Juice of 4 Lemons
4 TBSP Dry Mustard
1 TSP Celery Seed
2 TSP Turmeric
1 TSP Whole Spice
Put above in pan and bring to a boil. Boil for about 10 minutes and then cool.
Drain vegetables then pour syrup over. Seal in a cold pack

I love to eat this with ham and beans in the winter!!

Back
Top Bottom