I need a crockpot rooster recipe!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by EELover, Apr 25, 2011.

1. EELover

EELover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    My husband just killed off one of our roosters. I have read many posts and I always read about people talking about cooking up mean roosters in a crockpot. Does anyone have a recipe? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I don't have a recipe but I'll tell you what I do. [​IMG] I normally put them in a stock pot ont he stove, cover with water, add onion salt, spices and a splash of vinegar (to leach the calscium from the bones. Slow cook for several hours, at least three minimum. Then take the meat off the bone, dont' be too picky, take some of the stock ( cooking liquid), and make gravy out of it. Return bones to stock and boil a bit longer.

With the meat, I usually do chicken with gravy and mashed potatoes, and make chicken noodle soup out of the rest.-- strain stock, let bones cool a bit and remove the rest of the meat. Add equal parts of diced carrot, celery, onion and chicken to the stock witha bay leaf. Once veggies are cooked, add equal amount of noodles, cook, season and eat. Yumm!!!

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Coq au vin is great for fresh older rooster. Yummy! Anything over 20-ish weeks old is going to be tough if not slow cooked.

I've also just seasoned with poultry seasoning and slow cook it.

4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Do a serach with only the word ''crockpot''--there's 2 really good threads on crockpot recipes for chicken.

5. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
  6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
  7. cdoig

cdoig New Egg

Feb 12, 2012
    Willis, TX