I need a disagreement settled.....about watering your grass.

During the drought a few years back, when it started we were allowed to water between 11pm and 7am only. Was several hundred $$ fine if you did it any other time. As it got worse you were only allowed to stand there with a water hose to water it. Not may folk gonna do that in NC in August! Later we weren't allow to water at all

I remember when I lived in AZ back in the mid to late 80's they used a lot of "swamp" irrigation. Flood the area and let it soak in. It would take a 3 or 4 days and they would only do it once every couple weeks.

I personally don't water my grass. If it rains it rains, if not, it turns brown. Only fertilizer I have is chicken poop. May not be the best looking lawn in town BUT my chickens don't lay dayglo eggs. I don't have toads with multiple limbs growing out the tops of their heads. Dragonflies, Ladybugs, and Praying Mantis and the chickens take care of any bug problems. Clover attracts songbirds, cottontails and whitetail deer. I've already raised (not me personally, lol) 3 and working on the 4th clutch of Eastern Bluebirds from the same bird house

ooops, steps down of her soap box.

Last edited:
Quote:
Very odd... we lived in both Nevada and Texas and I never had that...lol Of course, I didn't water in the day either.

I think it depends on the chlorine and floride levels in the water. I've got a community well and you can just smell the chlorine coming out of the tap.

We are on a private well.....and it does get pretty hot here and dry.

I will show him the thread now.
big_smile.png

Oh yeah we don't do mornings and I don't think we have to worry about fungus growing here too dry. There is tan brown patches and he says cause its dying and I say it has been burned.
hu.gif

Quote:
Yesp, that is what we have--flood irrigation. Not everyone, but anyplace that was farmland that paid for the dams on hte Salt River back in the early 1900s might have it available--subdivisions that were built that chose not to build an irrigation disrtibution system don;t have it--might be able to ump through hoops to get access, but would not be easy. The water is ours by right; only thing we have to pay is a yearly administrative fee that covers maintenance of the canals and personnel costs. Very cheap compared to city water (that which comes out of the faucets).

Once every two weeks from approximately May through October, November is nothing as they clean the canals, once every four weeks from December through April. I know when I get my water about three days in advance, and it can start at any hour of the day/night. They do make an effort to shift it enough that no one always gets the 3 am slot. Length of time depends on the amount of land, of course you can elect to receive less water if you choose.

Quote:
Yesp, that is what we have--flood irrigation. Not everyone, but anyplace that was farmland that paid for the dams on hte Salt River back in the early 1900s might have it available--subdivisions that were built that chose not to build an irrigation disrtibution system don;t have it--might be able to ump through hoops to get access, but would not be easy. The water is ours by right; only thing we have to pay is a yearly administrative fee that covers maintenance of the canals and personnel costs. Very cheap compared to city water (that which comes out of the faucets).

Once every two weeks from approximately May through October, November is nothing as they clean the canals, once every four weeks from December through April. I know when I get my water about three days in advance, and it can start at any hour of the day/night. They do make an effort to shift it enough that no one always gets the 3 am slot. Length of time depends on the amount of land, of course you can elect to receive less water if you choose.

BLEAH BLEAH BLEAH!! I hated the taste of city of Tempe water, lol

I used to work down on "Dobson Ranch" subdivision when I was at ASU. There isn't suppose to be that much green grass in the middle of the desert!!!! I also worked up I-17 at Montezuma's Castle and Well. We had to do the thingie with the irrigation canals up there.

Honestly, I love those canals up by the "Well" I was only a seasonal employee and lost my job after the tourist season. No money, no place to live. Me and my dog lived in a tent not far from the well. I used the water in those canals for drinking water, cooking and keeping clean.
People can't believe those old canals up there and around Phoenix have been around since the Hohokam and Sinagua indians were around.

Back
Top Bottom