I need a Metric conversion for dosage

millebantam

Songster
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
Little Rhody
I'm trying to mix a small batch of Tetracyclene solution from one of those big ol' feed store packets. The recomended dosage for chickens is 400-800mg per gallon of water. Does anybody smarter than me know how that would translate to teaspoons or tbs? I simply don't know how to measure out 400 mg of powder. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hello,

I can help with that since I have a pharmacy background.

First, I need to know what you have--that is, do you have a liquid or some kind of powder in a packet. If you have a liquid, the measure will read XX mg per 5ml (teaspoonful) or somthing similar. If it is a powder packet it may read mg per packet, or, if in a bulk container for large animals it may say mg/cup of powder.

Once we have that it will will be easy to help find the 800mg

Topknot19

BTW I am at work and may not be able to read this again until later this evening

Last edited:
Thanks, it's Duramycin-10 soluble powder. Recomended dosage for chickens is 400 to 800 mg per gallon of water. The packet is 6.4 oz, or 181grams.

It is .6 grams which is .021 .oz but being that the dosage is 400 to 600 mg you have a leeway with the amount you measure. Do you know what you are treating them for? My sister got the same thing from her vet. I can ask her for the dosage he gave her.

Hello,

Getting back to you on dosing the chickens with Duramycin-10, The package label says for CRD the dosage is 400-800mg per gallon water. So one will assume that is what you are treating for. Other uses may be at different dosages.

I forgot to ask how much drinking water solution you need; but, the entire 181 gm powder packet will make 12.5 gallons of 800mg/gallon. The solution is said to be stable for 24 hours and should be changed then.

for lesser amounts, here are some calculations. 1gm of tetracycline in approx. 18gm of the powder. 800mg in approx. 14gm of powder. That is about 1/2 oz of dry weight. So for a small amount you will need a scale calibrated for low weights. Remember, that 1/2 ozi n a kitchen measuring spoon is for liquids and that the powder is light and fluffy and will be a bigger volume to have 1/2 oz dry weight.

for 800mg/gallon

14gm (1/2 oz) in 1 gallon water
28-gm (1 oz) in 2 gallons water

for 400 mg/gallon

7gm (2/4 oz) in 1 gallon water
14 gm in two gallons water.

One easy way to do this is to pour out the all the powder onto a clean surface and roughly divide into 1/4 s. Each 1/4 will make about 3 and 1/8 gallon of 800mg/gallon tetracycline solution. This is not quite as precise but maybe is the most practical for home use where there is some leeway in dosage anyway. What is not used each day is then discarded and replaced with a new batch.

Hope this helps,

Topknot19

Back
Top Bottom