I need a new job.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Tala, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I feel like my "life" is falling apart. Well my life as I knew it.

I HAD a good paying job, with decent hours, and pretty good bosses, decent coworkers and at least one good friend there.

Not entirely sure what happened, but all of a sudden the boss's boss came down and re-wrote his schedule her way.
    Suddenly I am scheduled for 13 hours next week! Said friend got scheduled for 9 hours. Said boss is putting in applications elsewhere "what's the point of being the boss if you can't run your own store?" he said.
    I think I need to start looking for another job. It took me almost 11 months to find this one!!!!!! UGH [​IMG]

2. 19Dawn76

19Dawn76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    Can you file for unemployment?

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Maybe/probably....I'll look into it for sure.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Maybe/probably....I'll look into it for sure.

You probably can if they cut your hours.. maybe... [​IMG]
    just start looking for a new job.. i know it SUCKS starting over though...

5. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    My guess is they had to do it cause sales were down.

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:I really don't think that is the case.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

Well, businesses do things for business reasons; with the economy in its current state, that generally means cost saving measures. Maybe they don;t want to lay people off, and the only way to make the numbers work without layoffs is to cut hours. However, this is also the beginning of summer vacation time, so that could be involved in some way (not sure how as they cut your hours rather than asking you to work overtime). Try to figure out the why. You can certainly ask the question, and ask if you can expect fewer hours in the future, or if it was just a fluke.

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Well, businesses do things for business reasons; with the economy in its current state, that generally means cost saving measures. Maybe they don;t want to lay people off, and the only way to make the numbers work without layoffs is to cut hours. However, this is also the beginning of summer vacation time, so that could be involved in some way (not sure how as they cut your hours rather than asking you to work overtime). Try to figure out the why. You can certainly ask the question, and ask if you can expect fewer hours in the future, or if it was just a fluke.

I guess I have to spell it out for you. This was not my manager/boss's decision. It was a corporate/ownership type decision made by people who are not even there! My in store boss said that he didn't think my morning hours (when business is slower) were enough to offset the evening income. HE is there every day, he knows how the business is going, etc. and he thinks it all comes out in the wash.

The fact is that we are the number one store in the US. Corporate SHOULD theoretically be trying to figure out what is WORKING for us instead of trying to screw it up.....

What I don't understand is that our store's owner used to appreciate that I worked hard, used to talk about how he needed the dedicated workers, blah blah blah. What I'm having trouble understanding is the total 180 that has happnened.... Instead of taking care of the dependable workers, he's screwing them over (can we say that on here??). Something has changed, and it has not been the sales. [​IMG]

ETA: I don't expect you guys to have the answers. I'm just venting.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    When corporate gets involved it ALWAYS goes downhill..
    I used to work for Pizza Hut when i was younger... when the big bosses started to come around i got out...i didnt like the way they treated people.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Well, businesses do things for business reasons; with the economy in its current state, that generally means cost saving measures. Maybe they don;t want to lay people off, and the only way to make the numbers work without layoffs is to cut hours. However, this is also the beginning of summer vacation time, so that could be involved in some way (not sure how as they cut your hours rather than asking you to work overtime). Try to figure out the why. You can certainly ask the question, and ask if you can expect fewer hours in the future, or if it was just a fluke.

I guess I have to spell it out for you. This was not my manager/boss's decision. It was a corporate/ownership type decision made by people who are not even there! My in store boss said that he didn't think my morning hours (when business is slower) were enough to offset the evening income. HE is there every day, he knows how the business is going, etc. and he thinks it all comes out in the wash.

The fact is that we are the number one store in the US. Corporate SHOULD theoretically be trying to figure out what is WORKING for us instead of trying to screw it up.....

What I don't understand is that our store's owner used to appreciate that I worked hard, used to talk about how he needed the dedicated workers, blah blah blah. What I'm having trouble understanding is the total 180 that has happnened.... Instead of taking care of the dependable workers, he's screwing them over (can we say that on here??). Something has changed, and it has not been the sales. [​IMG]

ETA: I don't expect you guys to have the answers. I'm just venting.

They are still making decisions based upon business reasons. Just because you do not understand does not mean that their thought process if completely off. Yes, their understanding of your store may be incomplete. However your understanding of the entire picture is also probably incomplete. You can still ask the question; of your boss or of his boss or up the chain until you get an answer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by