I need A protective Rooster... What breed has been best to you?

Dean126

Songster
Aug 10, 2020
I need a protective rooster. I am fed up with my weeny Easter egger rooster.

I have a free range flock, and my rooster is a big wimp and just runs away at the sight of danger (rarely even warns the hens), and at the same time is very aggressive at breeding my hens. Today he ripped the face off one of my hens and I had to put her down. So, id like to know what breeds of rooster you all have and are happy with for protection abilities; I want that rooster that will fight to the death to protect his girls.

Some breeds I'm considering:

Rhode Island Red
Sumatra
Welsummer
Leghorn
Old english Game
Fayoumis

Before you comment:

-Yes, I've searched the forum
-Yes, I know it depends on each individual rooster's personality, but im trying to make an educated decision here
-Yes, I know a good coop is worth more than the best rooster

I’m not sure if you’d want bantams, but bantam rooster will definitely warn hens and protect them. My little bantam roo went after a bald eagle when it tried to get his girls.

Last edited:

I have a free range flock, and my rooster is a big wimp and just runs away at the sight of danger (rarely even warns the hens), and at the same time is very aggressive at breeding my hens. Today he ripped the face off one of my hens and I had to put her down. So, id like to know what breeds of rooster you all have and are happy with for protection abilities; I want that rooster that will fight to the death to protect his girls.

Rhode Island Red
Sumatra
Welsummer
Leghorn
Old english Game
Fayoumis

Before you comment:

-Yes, I know it depends on each individual rooster's personality, but im trying to make an educated decision here
My Sapphire Gem cockerel isn't quite an adult yet, and doesn't have his spurs fully grown, but he is the most caring, tender lil boy... Until something comes lurking near his girls and our young EE cockerel. Then he acts like a dinosaur and charges at anyone/anything that tries to get close. He's only a few months old and he's ready to fight anything that needs fighting; and he alerts the others to everything that moves, just in case.

(Though he's very calm and relaxed with me. I am in no way saying he's aggressive!)

He may not be the most colorful, but he's everything I've read a good roo should be.

This is him acting all dinosaur-y in a bush.

Attachments

• IMG_20220802_145920.jpg
    IMG_20220802_145920.jpg
    805.6 KB · Views: 20
My Roosters currently:

Easter Eggers(3)

Project Wheaten Crele Orpington(Dino)

Silver Duckwing OEGB

OEGB/Phoenix cross

Mille Fleur D'uccle/OEGB X Silkie

Silkies(8)

Malays(2)

Black Sumatra

Marans/American Game cross

Heritage Plymouth Barred Rock

Cockerels:

Red JungleFowl(2)

Malay

Brassy Back OEGBs(2)

Easter Egger

Silkies(3)

Rhode Island Red
Sumatra
Welsummer
Leghorn
Old english Game
Fayoumis

Before you comment:

I wouldn't get taken in by the my rooster fought off a predator stories. It rarely happens and the few videos I've seen supposedly demonstrating the hero have been set up. One I watched wasn't even a rooster; it was a broody hen.
I don't know where you live but you can rule out Fayoumies unless you can get one from Egypt.
Old English Game roosters have been good ime but you need bantam hens to go with them ideally.
Your best bet is to find a farm that free ranges their chickens and get a cross/mutt from them keeping clear of the so called heritage breeds.

I have a Welsumer rooster for my large fowl flock and a Japanese bantam rooster for my bantam flock. Both are good with the ladies and attentive at keeping watch. I had to go through several roosters before I got good ones. I also have a silkie rooster who is cute but useless.

My Roosters currently:

Easter Eggers(3)

Project Wheaten Crele Orpington(Dino)

Silver Duckwing OEGB

OEGB/Phoenix cross

Mille Fleur D'uccle/OEGB X Silkie

Silkies(8)

Malays(2)

Black Sumatra

Marans/American Game cross

Heritage Plymouth Barred Rock

Cockerels:

Red JungleFowl(2)

Malay

Brassy Back OEGBs(2)

Easter Egger

Silkies(3)
So out of all these which would you say would be down to fight if push comes to shove?

The rooster fighting isn’t going to matter except maybe him getting snacked on before the ladies.

My area has areal predators. (Hawks….. they are the bane of my existence). I want a rooster that keeps a watchful eye out and knows where to take cover. Is respectful of humans and not a butthead to the ladies. So far, my RIR that I have now, and the one I had two roosters ago fit that bill perfectly. (2 roosters ago that RIR decided he wanted to try out being an Olympic swimmer in the water trough)

So far I’ve eaten 11, disposed of one and kept two. In 3 years.

I guess long and short, good roosters are hard to come by. I don’t think you will find one to fill those particular shoes.

If it’s a free range flock, look for a human aggressive roo and save a life. I see some every now and then on my local FB poultry pages looking for free range flocks. Human aggressive Roos will likely do a great job protecting hens.
Or go with Gamefowl, but they route will definitely be more pricey. Gamefowl aren’t always cheep.

But as you may already know, any rooster who will fight a predator will likely die trying.

I’ve heard some people get Guinea Fowl to sound the alarm.

Yea for me Arial predators aren't my issue. I have a falcon, owl and a couple hawks on the property... None have ever gotten a chicken. It's the Bobcats and coyotes that have decimated my flock. I am starting a completely new flock now with "wilder" genetics. But the only survivor of my existing flock is my roo who can outrun the hens

Back
Top Bottom