I need A protective Rooster... What breed has been best to you?

You'll likey need something gamey. And get a dozen of them so you add a new one whenever the last one gets eaten, which will be frequently, since that's usually how it works.
Unfortunately, that's how roos 'protect' the flock, they distract a predator so the flock can get away, I'd say a roo lasts 5 attacks before something calls his bluff.

If it’s a free range flock, look for a human aggressive roo and save a life. I see some every now and then on my local FB poultry pages looking for free range flocks. Human aggressive Roos will likely do a great job protecting hens.

I'm sorry, but that's horrible advice. :(

Even if a person wants to take the risks themselves, if they allow a known-aggressive animal to roam and it attacks someone on the property -- the mail carrier, the missionaries knocking on the door, a lost hiker, etc -- there could be criminal penalties as well as medical bills.

Get a nice rooster who was going to be eaten instead of a jerk. :)

After all, as one of our members often says, if the rooster is busy stalking the people he's not attending to his duties with the flock.

No rooster will win against either a coyote or a bobcat! As mentioned already, the rooster's job is to watch out for danger and sound the alarm, and definitely not spend his time stalking humans!
Sooner or later you will have a raptor take a chicken, but it's generally only one, and here it's been bantams, not the big birds. Canines of any species are the biggest risk here, and who dies varies.
Also, there's a learning curve involved in how the birds react. Survivors of an attack to the flock will be more alert and careful in the future.
By all means, have a rooster in your flock, and choose carefully.
If you plan on raising his chicks, select a breed type that works with your hens. If he's there for eye candy and to be a sentinel, and will be the only rooster, a big game type bird would be great. Silkies and Polish don't see well and are small, better other breeds. Then consider raising some cockerels so you can pick the best one.
Mary

Get a Black Copper Maran! They are the best! So friendly and docile and very protective of their hens, I have one and he’s amazing. Always warning the ladies even when it’s just me passing by their yard, he’s just always on high alert :p

I have a plain ole' Australorp but he has developed into an amazing rooster for my girls. He is extremely watchful and vigilant. He does a great job at sounding the alarm and getting the girls to cover. He is very brave and confident. He does a much better job than my RIR roo.

I need a protective rooster. I am fed up with my weeny Easter egger rooster.

I have a free range flock, and my rooster is a big wimp and just runs away at the sight of danger (rarely even warns the hens), and at the same time is very aggressive at breeding my hens. Today he ripped the face off one of my hens and I had to put her down. So, id like to know what breeds of rooster you all have and are happy with for protection abilities; I want that rooster that will fight to the death to protect his girls.

Some breeds I'm considering:

Rhode Island Red
Sumatra
Welsummer
Leghorn
Old english Game
Fayoumis

Before you comment:

-Yes, I've searched the forum
-Yes, I know it depends on each individual rooster's personality, but im trying to make an educated decision here
-Yes, I know a good coop is worth more than the best rooster
What I have in bold needs to be revisited before going forward.

I value roosters against hawks targeting smaller chickens. Other approaches I use for predators other than hawks.

Old English Games are a bantam.

What do you mean revisited?

I am trying to pick the best rooster for my next flock, with primary focus on protection and second good predator evasion genetics. It's not often I get to build a flock from scratch so I'm just trying to get a good one.

My house borders 50,000 plus acres of wild life refuge so I have all the predators and just want to set myself up for success with no compromises.
What I have in bold needs to be revisited before going forward.

I value roosters against hawks targeting smaller chickens. Other approaches I use for predators other than hawks.

Old English Games are a bantam.

I need a protective rooster. I am fed up with my weeny Easter egger rooster.

I have a free range flock, and my rooster is a big wimp and just runs away at the sight of danger (rarely even warns the hens), and at the same time is very aggressive at breeding my hens. Today he ripped the face off one of my hens and I had to put her down. So, id like to know what breeds of rooster you all have and are happy with for protection abilities; I want that rooster that will fight to the death to protect his girls.

Some breeds I'm considering:

Rhode Island Red
Sumatra
Welsummer
Leghorn
Old english Game
Fayoumis

Before you comment:

-Yes, I've searched the forum
-Yes, I know it depends on each individual rooster's personality, but im trying to make an educated decision here
-Yes, I know a good coop is worth more than the best rooster
Look into Aseel roosters. They're all you need, they look mean and intimidating BUT they're friendly to humans. I've raised them for years and speak from experience.

Back
Top Bottom