I need advice

Goosey Lucy

Songster
6 Years
Nov 2, 2015
Co.Louth , Ireland
I have 3 cayuga ducks 2 male and 1 female. I keep one male separated but he can see the other 2 .
The one I have separated has lost a lot of his body weight, he keeps pacing up and down ,he feeds very little but not enough.
I have wormed them in March and then in May.
I need advice, please
Thank you.

Hi Patty,
Hope your safe and well during this covit 19.Thank you for your reply.
The female and her partner are up in their years plus the male has arthritis in one of his legs which I treat during our winter. The younger male is his son and if I put them together they'll fight and Brian's leg would be hurt further. After these ducks I wont be replacing them. I'll keep geese. Hence the lack of females.
Patty do you think his weight loss is due to stress of not mating..
Great to hear from you again and I'm so grateful for all your advice.
Kindest regards,
Irena

He wants to be with his flock. I know what it is to have to separate I am doing it now. I hate it but it has to be done. Do you think you could let Brian in the pen for a while and let his son out for a bit. He may go nuts in mating but you could always try or rehome him. I know that isn't easy either. Then you'd just have your 2 retired one. I have retired and young ones. Thank goodness my younger drakes have plenty of females.
Good to see you too. Hope things are getting back to normal in Ireland too with this covid -19 stuff. We're working on it here.

Maybe if you could keep them out of sight and out of earshot that would be even better (inside?). If he starts eating and gaining weight then you have identified your issue. If he keeps wasting away its probably worms, i think not all worms can be killed with the same wormer.

Thank you so much for your advice.I have been watching him (duckie) name chosen by my youngest son, and he doesn't seem to be eating much at all . Hes too preoccupied watching the pened female, so I'm going to try what you have suggested move him so he cant see or hear them .
Thanks again,
Kindest regards

He wants to be with his flock. I know what it is to have to separate I am doing it now. I hate it but it has to be done. Do you think you could let Brian in the pen for a while and let his son out for a bit. He may go nuts in mating but you could always try or rehome him. I know that isn't easy either. Then you'd just have your 2 retired one. I have retired and young ones. Thank goodness my younger drakes have plenty of females.
Good to see you too. Hope things are getting back to normal in Ireland too with this covid -19 stuff. We're working on it here.
Pattie, should I feed him with some oats in warm water with a syringe, what do you think?
I'll try swapping them around for a bit.
Thank you Pattie,
Kindest regards,
Irena

Maybe if you could keep them out of sight and out of earshot that would be even better (inside?). If he starts eating and gaining weight then you have identified your issue. If he keeps wasting away its probably worms, i think not all worms can be killed with the same wormer.
Thank you so very much ,for you valuable advice.
I have been watching him (Duckie) my youngest son choose the name and he seems to be too preoccupied watching the female in the pen to eat.So I'm going to take your advice and move him to where he cant see or hear them.
Thanks again,
Kindest regards

Hi, there!

Just checking into see how your bird is doing. Updates to these threads are very useful for people in the future experiencing the same problem.

Back
Top Bottom