I need an alternative to poultry netting

I was also going to suggest welded wire attached to t-posts as your cheapest option as far as an actual fence. Then a couple of electric wire strands in front of the field fence should be plenty sufficient to keep the neighbor dogs away, plus most other poultry predators too.
I can't put up welded wire...it's too heavy for me...

What length welded wire rolls do u feel is too heavy to manage? Welded wire does come in much shorter rolls than the 330feet/440 feet u may have seen advertised.
I am an older woman, and was easily able to erect welded wire using 50ft rolls. I did find the 100' rolls to be awkward & heavy to work with. If u can manage cattle panels, i would Think u could deal with short rolls of welded wire? The hardest part for me was driving the tposts in the ground. Much easier to do so after good spring rains and the ground is Not frozen! In the past several years, in order to protect my chickens, i have erected welded wire using 50' and 100' rolls, 16ft cattle panels, and 10x10x6 dog kennel panels. Found them all to require similiar strength/muscle power. Not sayin any of it was easy, but it WAS doable. Plus, once up its done. (I also covered the cattle panels and dog kennel panels using 50' rolls of hardware cloth, since i dont have an electric fence.) The longer rolls ARE cheaper per foot (ive also purchased & used 100 foot rolls of both welded wire and hardware cloth), but anything over 50' was really too awkward & heavy for me. Not saying my way is the best way for YOU, just saying u may be able to manage it easier than u think.

What length welded wire rolls do u feel is too heavy to manage? Welded wire does come in much shorter rolls than the 330feet/440 feet u may have seen advertised.
I am an older woman, and was easily able to erect welded wire using 50ft rolls. I did find the 100' rolls to be awkward & heavy to work with. If u can manage cattle panels, i would Think u could deal with short rolls of welded wire? The hardest part for me was driving the tposts in the ground. Much easier to do so after good spring rains and the ground is Not frozen! In the past several years, in order to protect my chickens, i have erected welded wire using 50' and 100' rolls, 16ft cattle panels, and 10x10x6 dog kennel panels. Found them all to require similiar strength/muscle power. Not sayin any of it was easy, but it WAS doable. Plus, once up its done. (I also covered the cattle panels and dog kennel panels using 50' rolls of hardware cloth, since i dont have an electric fence.) The longer rolls ARE cheaper per foot (ive also purchased & used 100 foot rolls of both welded wire and hardware cloth), but anything over 50' was really too awkward & heavy for me. Not saying my way is the best way for YOU, just saying u may be able to manage it easier than u think.
The last welded wire I put up with my ex, had to be stretched. I can pick up a 40 lb bag of feed so not sure about a 50 ft roll of welded wire. But didn't know there were different lengths...I had one that sat in my pasture for 13 yrs...when I moved it stayed there because I nor me and my daughter could pick it up.

I am a big fan or my Premier Permanet 12/48/3 Comes with an electrifiable option or not. Sturdy enough for 3 season use A breeze to set up and take down.
The Premier fence is good except for when the grass grows and I can't weed eat around it. I could possibly use weed killer right after I put it up, but hate using that. My soil never dries out so the grass grows like crazy where I have the poultry fence and I can't weed eat around the bottom since it's laying on the ground. Which it did not do that at first. I've had it in a year.

Back
Top Bottom