I need an answer fast!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Egg Rookie 2010, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    Sun is down. All are on roost INCLUDING MAMA who has 4 2 week old babies she left on the floor! They have hoped up as far as the top of the nest boxes and no way can get on that roost. Has she abandon them? It will be about 60 degrees tonight. I have NO heat lamp, NO boxes to bring them in...Im freaked! I think I can sneak in when it is really dark and pluck her off the roost to sit with the kids BUT she is snuggled up to the roo who I try not to ever be in the coop or run with. Im afraid with him at eye level Id be in serious trouble. Any thoughts? I will be very upset if they die! It is 92 degrees now.

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Do you have a light of any sort you could put in there? Even a 100 watt bulb throws a fair amount of heat, and mama will not fall asleep with the light on, maybe she will go back with the chicks. Storage bins are good temporary brooders.

3. Egg Rookie 2010

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    my heat lamp bulb is dead but Im going to try a regular bulb right now....string out a 100 foot extension cord and hang it in the coop
    wish me luck

4. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Most roos are not aggressive once they have gone to roost so you could snag momma and put her down with the little ones, maybe in a smaller pen or dog crate or something? If not, you could always bring them in. Bathtubs make great brooders. You house will be warmer than 60 I presume.

5. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    We kept ours in a rubbermaid tote with a gooseneck lamp shining down on them for a while. It doesn't take much to keep them warm. I would be worried about them going all night without mama.

6. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    Quote:I was just going to say that the bathtub is a good place also. You beat me to it. [​IMG]

7. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

I agree be very careful at night in the dark. I had a rooster lounge right at my face many years ago. Scatched my face real good! Want do that again!
    Regular light bulbs work good when your in a pinch! [​IMG]

8. Egg Rookie 2010

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    The babies wont be kept in by a bathtub anymore, they are leaping 24 inches off the ground to sit on TOP of the little condo I made for them in the run so they could eat in peace...I put a 60 watt bulb-its all I had-in the heat lamp reflector clamped on a bucket where Mama HAD been sitting with them. I got them off the top of the nest boxes which was directly under mama and the roo and NO WAY was I gonna chance picking her up. I did not want to tangle with that roo. I gave myself a migraine from stress just now. The babies are now playing around under that lamp but it is still very warm out. The whole flock is moaning and groaning about the light. PRAYING this will work. Well I was gonna put light in there tomorrow anyway so they would keep laying through the winter. I guess now they are just stuck with it all night long instead of coming on at 4am. OH I hope this works.

9. RanchoDelPolloLoco

RanchoDelPolloLoco Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Sounds like you have done the best you can. Good luck tonight! Will be eagerly awaiting some news in the morning [​IMG]

10. Egg Rookie 2010

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    BIG FAT FAIL! The little rascals are back on top of the nest boxes-under the roosts, where they will get pooped on and cold. Now with teh lights on they can see whats comin'! I have such a headache. I dont know what to do. Now with the light on the roo can see me and is letting me know it. I COULD move that light to hang off the roost and shine on the babies but...uh...I terrified of getting eyes gouged out. WHAT is wrong with Margret? She was SUCH a good mama until tonight!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by