I NEED ANSWERS, everything I research for Incubating chicken eggs gives me different answers!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NewChickielady, Mar 23, 2018.

1. feedman77

feedman77 Crowing

Jun 10, 2013
    Start your incubator without water get it to temp desired. See what your humidity gauge reads while dry.

JaeG and NewChickielady like this.
  2. NewChickielady

NewChickielady In the Brooder

Mar 21, 2018
    Thank you, Im not
    Thank you!

3. NewChickielady

Mar 21, 2018
    Meant to put, Thank you, I'm not ready to give up!

Rose Quartz likes this.
  4. feedman77

feedman77 Crowing

Jun 10, 2013
    Personally start dry if your air cells look to big at day 7 candle then add a little water to slow them down. It is easier imho to slow them down than it is to try and dry them out. If you get to far along. I worry more about a chick drowning if has to much moisture in the egg.

JaeG, Rose Quartz and NewChickielady like this.
  5. NewChickielady

Mar 21, 2018
    Thanks, as of this morning I've been running it with water. I will empty it and run it dry.

Rose Quartz likes this.
  6. NewChickielady

Mar 21, 2018
    Thank you everybody for the replies, I appreciate all the help!

JaeG and Rose Quartz like this.
  7. Rose Quartz

Rose Quartz Enabler

Mar 18, 2018
    East Hants N.S. Canada
    I generally start with no added humidity. and check the aircell size on day 7. if it matches the chart(which can be found in that link) I leave it. If it's too big I add humidity usually try to keep it below 40% though, too small I just learned you can add a small container of rice to absorb humidity (I've never used it though) and then on day 14 check the air cell size again and see if it's still matching the chart, or if it's back where it should be. if it's still not cooperating, you can make some larger changes and check again on day 18 just before lockdown. if on day 18 you find your air cell is too small you can leave your humidity down another day as long as youre watching pretty closely and after a day up your humidity or as soon as you hear chirping. The aircells keep growing after day 18 even with the humidity up quite significantly, and by day 20 - 21 it draws down really far on one side. (The incubator I made I can access the inside without loosing humidity so I've gotten to candle in incubator after lockdown) :)

8. NewChickielady

Mar 21, 2018
    Okay Thanks Rose, so with that said do I remove one plug as of day 4 or just keep them off altogether?

9. Rose Quartz

Rose Quartz Enabler

Mar 18, 2018
    East Hants N.S. Canada
    It's up to you. the reason I said day 4 was I read some where that lack of oxygen in the first 3 days had been shown to make stronger chicks. But I have never closed off my oxygen supply. That doesn't seem logical to me :confused: even if scientists say it's the right way to go.

(I really wish I had saved links to all these articles I read)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: