I need confirmation is this a Roo approx 13 weeks. I have noticed its tail looking curvy. EDIT picture is back of its sibling who i think is hen

Sorry just checked my pics. The second picture down of the posted pics is a back shot of its sibling which I think is definitely hen.
That was the one photo where I couldn't find the barring, so I'm glad to know my eyes weren't playing tricks on me!

Thanks for this I don't have pictures of the parents. But I know the father was supposed to be light sussex and mum Isa brown according to the people I got them off. However, the sibling of this one has feathers growing on it's legs making me think it may actually be a light Brahma cross isa brown. But I am not sure if Brahmas have the barring that you speak of.
Light Brahmas do not have barring either.
But yes, the sibling might have a Brahma parent. I don't think the puzzling chick could.

I think there's something wrong with the account of what breeds the parents are, but I can't think of any good way to sort it out.

Barring is white lines across the feathers, no matter what other color the feathers may be. It's fairly obvious in the tail feathers of the one you are asking about, but missing in the tail feathers of the sister (or half-sister.)

ISA brown roosters can sometimes have barring, and Delawares (which are barred) can sometimes be mistaken for light sussexes.
Yes, I was wondering whether the "Light Sussex" was really a Delaware.

Barring on some ISA Brown roosters? I hadn't heard of that before. (Not that it matters in this case, now that we know the "ISA Brown" is supposed to be the mother, and the ISA Brown hens do not have barring. Unless SHE is mis-identified too!)

A barred mother can only give barring to her sons, not her daughters. But a barred father can give barring to both his sons and his daughters, so if the father is the one with barring, that would not help tell the sex of this chick.

Barring on some ISA Brown roosters? I hadn't heard of that before. (Not that it matters in this case, now that we know the "ISA Brown" is supposed to be the mother, and the ISA Brown hens do not have barring. Unless SHE is mis-identified too!)

A barred mother can only give barring to her sons, not her daughters. But a barred father can give barring to both his sons and his daughters, so if the father is the one with barring, that would not help tell the sex of this chick.
Oh, oops, I’m not sure how I missed that the ISA brown is the mother. Though maybe the “light sussex” father is actually another ISA brown?

Here’s a picture of a barred ISA brown/red sex link rooster:
1D6DCE72-6000-4798-8A95-027F38A59B97.png
In this case a Delaware hen would be the silver parent.

Oh, oops, I’m not sure how I missed that the ISA brown is the mother. Though maybe the “light sussex” father is actually another ISA brown?

Here’s a picture of a barred ISA brown/red sex link rooster:View attachment 3398663In this case a Delaware hen would be the silver parent.
Yes, I see how that works with a Delaware mother for sexlinks. Those are a little different than the ones usually sold as "ISA Browns," because the hen has a black tail (vs. the more common white tail) and the rooster has both a black tail and white barring (vs. white tail and no barring on the more common ones).

If the "Light Sussex" rooster who fathered OP's chick is really a sexlink (silver/gold split, with one copy of the barring gene), then yes he could produce offspring with barring (like the chick in question) and without barring (like the feather-foot sister), although he would also be likely to produce some gold-based offspring. Of course all of those could happen in both genders, if the mother was gold and not-barred (like an ISA Brown hen).

If the "Light Sussex" rooster is actually a purebred Delaware, he could not be the father of the unbarred chick. But maybe some other rooster is present in the flock too.

And if the father really is a Light Sussex, but someone mixed up which hen the eggs, OP's mystery chick might have a Delaware mother (only possible if OP's chick is a male, which seems unlikely based on current appearance.)

Definitely an interesting puzzle-- several options and no easy way to be sure.

Last edited:
That one does look like a possible brahma cross, and doesn’t have barring
Yes and this one has feathers all on its legs. Maybe the people that sold me the chooks the chooks had different mum, although they said same mum. They did show me the dad rooster and it looked like it had the typical light sussex colouring. I'll go get some better pics of the so called sibling and see if you can confirm its hen too

H
That was the one photo where I couldn't find the barring, so I'm glad to know my eyes weren't playing tricks on me!

Light Brahmas do not have barring either.
But yes, the sibling might have a Brahma parent. I don't think the puzzling chick could.

I think there's something wrong with the account of what breeds the parents are, but I can't think of any good way to sort it out.

Barring is white lines across the feathers, no matter what other color the feathers may be. It's fairly obvious in the tail feathers of the one you are asking about, but missing in the tail feathers of the sister (or half-sister.)

Here are soem pics of the so called sister. Which I think is a hen and has the feathering on its legs

Attachments

• 20230208_111917.jpg
    20230208_111917.jpg
    590.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230208_111920.jpg
    20230208_111920.jpg
    822.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230208_111923.jpg
    20230208_111923.jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230208_111925.jpg
    20230208_111925.jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230208_111928.jpg
    20230208_111928.jpg
    852.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230208_111933.jpg
    20230208_111933.jpg
    650.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230208_111957.jpg
    20230208_111957.jpg
    841.7 KB · Views: 3
Here a few more pics of the suspected roo.

Attachments

• 20230208_112022.jpg
    20230208_112022.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230208_112024.jpg
    20230208_112024.jpg
    475.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230208_112027.jpg
    20230208_112027.jpg
    802.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230208_112057.jpg
    20230208_112057.jpg
    783.6 KB · Views: 1
Here are soem pics of the so called sister. Which I think is a hen and has the feathering on its legs
Here a few more pics of the suspected roo.
Given that they are 13 weeks old, I think they are probably the same gender as each other, and that gender is probably female.

Most males would have a much bigger, redder comb at that age.
Most male/female pairs would have much more difference between their combs.

I say "most" because some males mature very slowly, and get mistaken for females until much older than 13 weeks. But they are relatively rare, so I think you are more likely to have pullets than to have late-maturing males.

Back
Top Bottom