I need dog fencing ideas.

We fenced in our backyard with wood posts around the front/sides and T-posts in back (we want to move the fence back at some point) and ran a single electric wire around the bottom about 10" off the ground. When our mixed breed was let out there he figured out right way that the fence bites. After that, we were able to turn it off. When we put the chicken coop/pen back there, we put wire around the bottom of it because he has a high prey drive. He knows when it's on and when it's unplugged. Not sure if he can hear it or if he can smell it? It's odd though...if it's on, he gives it a wide berth, if we forget to plug it in, he digs around it.

Quote:
They do have systems for stubborn dogs. They cost more, but for breeds like husky they are a must. The correction levels go up to 7-8+ on those. The PetSafe model only goes up to a correction level of 4. I have dogs well over 120lbs+, and it works for them just fine. I have also used it at a much lower level on small dogs. On the pug, I use it at a level 2correction with no problems.

I used to have a Bloodhound that touched my sheep fence (8000 volts) a couple of times

After that, I could fence him in with masonary twine stretched 6 inches above the ground

He wouldnt get near anything that resembled wire

I'd go with a real fence

Quote:
That's what we did. We fenced off an area off the back of our house that was big enough for them to run some steam off, go to the bathroom, throw a ball, etc. If we want to expand that area later we can, but it seems large enough for now.

I don't know how big your dogs are, but 25 x 25 should be good. You can do what we did, and get a can of orange spray paint. ( they make it for lawns I believe) Map out where you want to sink your posts, and it will give you a general idea beforehand.

Bluemoon

Quote:
That's what we did. We fenced off an area off the back of our house that was big enough for them to run some steam off, go to the bathroom, throw a ball, etc. If we want to expand that area later we can, but it seems large enough for now.

I don't know how big your dogs are, but 25 x 25 should be good. You can do what we did, and get a can of orange spray paint. ( they make it for lawns I believe) Map out where you want to sink your posts, and it will give you a general idea beforehand.

Bluemoon

Good idea!

I would go with a physical fence as opposed to invisible fencing. I do use the invisible fencing for my sometimes bull headed bullmastiffs and it works wonderfully. BUT I fenced my entire property, I think it would be difficult and harder on the dogs(though not impossible) to learn there limits inside the invisible boundary and then like you said they could run your full 4 acres when your outside. I think they would get confused and not respect the boundary lines. (oh and the shock doesn't hurt, I learned this when I was training my dogs to the invisible fence. At the first part of the off leash training theres a phase that if they breach the fence you go and get them, remove the collar and walk them back across the line.....I did this while holding the prongs in my hand!)

We used underground fencing with our incorrigible lab and it worked great! Our shepherd ran right through it once but luckily came back, I think his collar wasn't working. It's definitely important to test the batteries, but our lab hasn't even worn the collar for a good 5 years and he still respects the boundaries very well, though sometimes he needs a reminder. But it's definitely not good to break the boundaries frequently, like splitting up your yard and letting him have some of it sometimes... very confusing to dogs.

Last edited:
I love the Petsafe wireless system also....it is worth it's weight in gold and keeps my dogs safe beside this busy road. I love the fact that other dogs and predators can come inside the perimeter.....then I get to see what great guard dogs I really have!
lol.png

Seriously, if they get outside the line somehow, it doesn't shock them while they are trying to return...this is why I love that feature. Not that I've had any incidents of them getting out that didn't involve a low battery.

I also have a perimeter property fence, but a smart dog can make short work of a regular fence.

We just have plain old livestock/field fencing around our back property (old wood posts), and it's pretty cheap. We did run a tight wire along the bottom though, as my famale is an escape artist. If she really wants out, she'll still find a way out though (and back in). Thankfully she doesn't want out often.
roll.png

Last edited:
Quote:
The two dogs that attacked my chickens in may were being fenced using the invisible fencing, apparently it didn't work for them. I'm not sure what the owner has done since then, but I haven't seen the dogs again! I told him I'd shoot them!

Back
Top Bottom