I need duck help

vyper

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 1, 2014
Enola,PA.
A dog attacked one of my ducks 5 days ago. Her left hip and upper leg is swollen and she can't lift the leg ! There doesn't seem to be any break and she can stand on it but not lift it up ! Could it be out of socket ?

A dog attacked one of my ducks 5 days ago. Her left hip and upper leg is swollen and she can't lift the leg ! There doesn't seem to be any break and she can stand on it but not lift it up ! Could it be out of socket ?
It maybe I would advise a trip to the vet the longer it stays out the harder it will be to put back in especially with swelling. Sorry it's been so long before you got a reply how is your duck today?

Not good , still can't lift her leg ! There's no vet around here that would touch her ! I will just keep putting her in warm water see if I can carefully manipulate it myself ! Everybody says to put her down , I just can't do that ! She is only 6 months old !

Not good , still can't lift her leg ! There's no vet around here that would touch her ! I will just keep putting her in warm water see if I can carefully manipulate it myself ! Everybody says to put her down , I just can't do that ! She is only 6 months old !
Ducks are very good about coming back from horrendous attacks and can make full recoveries, we just have to know when to let go. Hopefully with warm water soaks and letting her have rest she'll make a full recovery. I wouldn't keep her with the rest of the flock because if she tries to keep up with them she'll keep aggravating the injury and it won't heal. Maybe one buddy to keep her company?

I gave her a warm bath , seemed to help. The swelling seems to be keeping her from lifting her leg ! Is there anything I can do to decrease the swelling quicker ?

I gave her a warm bath , seemed to help. The swelling seems to be keeping her from lifting her leg ! Is there anything I can do to decrease the swelling quicker ?
You might try the Epsom salt wraps take a soft wash cloth and drench it in warm ES water wring it out till it isn't dripping then wrap it around her leg try to keep it on for at least 5-10 mn. or as long as she'll let you before she starts to get uncomfortable with you holding her still. A soak would work too, put 1- cup of Epsom salt into a dish pan or small bucket and warm water hold onto the duck so she isn't actually standing in the bucket but both legs are covered by the ES water. I have used a plastic dish pan too for this that way they can lay down and we just hold them in. A couple times a day would be good. But don't let her drink the ES because it is also a Laxative. When she is getting her warm bath can she move her leg at all?does she try to stand? thinking the bouncy of the water may hold her weight and she is able to stand?

Yes she tries to move it in the water . Yes she can stand on it with no problem, just can't lift high enough to clear her web foot to take step ! That's why I'm thinking the swelling is keeping her from lifting her leg hi enough ? Thank you for the info.

Yes she tries to move it in the water . Yes she can stand on it with no problem, just can't lift high enough to clear her web foot to take step ! That's why I'm thinking the swelling is keeping her from lifting her leg hi enough ? Thank you for the info.
That's good that she can move her leg and also stand, so now to work on getting the swelling down. It will take time for the leg to heal but hopefully with your TLC it will. Keep us updated.
Amiga also uses Traumel I think that's is how you spell it anyway it may help with swelling but if you can't find it then just using the Epsom salt will hopefully do the trick.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom