I need feed for the quail i am getting in about 2 days...

BackYardQuail

Songster
9 Years
Apr 12, 2014
I live in Jacksonville Florida and I cannot find any stores that sell quail starter feed with 28% - 30% protein.. Does anyone know a store here that sells any? Even if its 28% turkey starter. Thanks.

Also what is the price for each bag and how many pounds is a bag?

Last edited:
You have two Tractor Supplies stores showing up. Buy their Dumor 24% chick starter and feed it to your birds. I feed my birds the same feed and do not have any problems. $18 a bag for 50 lbs here in Mobile,AL.

Chicken-Farmer

Last edited:
Alright, do you use this feed from start to finish for both meat quails and breeders?

By start to finish I mean from birth til death.

Yes, they get it from day one, for both breeders and meat birds. Drum or is made by Purina and only distributed by Tractor supply stores. My tractor supply store also sells the Purina Gamebird Startena that is 30% protein but it's about $2 more a bag.

Chicken-Farmer

If I buy the 30% Purina feed it won't be bad for them if I give them it their whole lifes right? Like they won't get too much protein will they? Same questions go for the 24% feed.

Last edited:
I live in Jacksonville Florida and I cannot find any stores that sell quail starter feed with 28% - 30% protein.. Does anyone know a store here that sells any? Even if its 28% turkey starter. Thanks.

Also what is the price for each bag and how many pounds is a bag?

Last edited:
I have to disagree with the person saying give them chicken fed. They do need higher protein the chickens. Go with the turkey or gamebird crumbles. It might need to be ground up a bit for chicks but only for a few days. Good Luck.

I have to disagree with the person saying give them chicken fed. They do need higher protein the chickens. Go with the turkey or gamebird crumbles. It might need to be ground up a bit for chicks but only for a few days. Good Luck.
I was thinking the same thing, I also want my quail to be big, strong, and healthy so 28% - 30% would be my choice even though it's more expensive. How would I grind it up?

Back
Top Bottom