I need feedback on Purina Layena Sunfresh layer feed!

I liked it when I used it, chickens did too. The reason I stopped using it was because it is a special order thing at our farmer's co-op. They wouldn't order any of it until I told them to and I never know how long a bag of feed is going to last with my bunch. Sometimes it only lasts a week, sometimes a month.

Layena runs about $13-14 for 50# bag here in WA. Personally, I would do some checking around to see what other stores in the area are charging for it. Then tell your feed store that if they can't carry it for you without charging all that extra $$, you'll just take all your business to the stores who will.

In this day when there are so many companies doing everything they can to get your business, it's ridiculous for companies to be doing that. I don't care if they do have to "special order" it, my guess is that is still way too much for what they're getting it for.

I'm a member of a Co-Op and they do special orders without marking it up above what they do anything else. Moreover, I doubt very much that you would be the ONLY one buying the product from them if there were to carry it.

Now to the question about Layena, you have to keep in mind that Layena has been specifically formulated and designed by animal feed scientists to have just the right amount of ALL ingredients. You can't just look at things like "Protein Percentage" as there are other things to be considered such as amino acids and such.

Also, too much protein is not a good thing. This is especially true with developing pullets and cockerels.

Finally, as for the orangish-yolks, the folks above have it spot on. Feed them some greens if they aren't able to free range and get it on their own.

God Bless,

I've been feeding Sunfresh for about a year now. My hens have been doing well on it, but it's $17 here, not $21. It's only a couple of dollars more than the regular feed, and I feel it's worth it.

I didn't realize that Sunfresh contains calcium, so I still provide free choice oyster shell. Interesting thing is that apparently Sunfresh doesn't have enough calcium for my hens, because they are still consuming the oyster shell.

Quote:
The feed I use now, not Layena, also has calcium in it. However, I've found the eggshells to be much stronger when I also offer oyster shell. The feed only has 4%. Not sure how much calcium Layena has.

pips&peeps :

They make a Layen with 21% protein now. You need to ask for it.

Do they only have this on the west coast? I looked at the website and saw no mention of a higher protein Layena. Only the Breeder Layena in the gamebird line is 20% protein, but my feedstore only carries the 19% Flight conditioner, so that's what I'm using now. Is it for chickens or is it the gamebird? Thanks.​

I don't know if it is west coast only, but I would presume it would be nationwide. It comes in the blue Layena bag, but it just has the higher protein.

I will call Purina in St. Louis.......

Well, I just talked to a nice lady at Purina, and unfortunately the feed is only available in the Northwest.

It is 20% too, not 21%, I made an error.

But if you live in WA, OR, ID or Western MT, I recommend it.

Yeesh! Our coop carries it $12.50 for a 50# bag! I told my DH that I was going to start feeding them the Layena and he flipped, said that was much more expensive than the coop brand and actually it isn't. The coop brand is $11.50 for a 50# bag.

HappyHatch'en :

Modern times have spoiled the chicken because we are afraid that we might be doing something wrong....go figure.

Amen! We always had chickens growing up. They free ranged and caught all the bugs they could, plus ate whatever greenery they wanted (1/2 acre for 2-6 chooks). We threw them a handful of some kind of pellets at bedtime (I'm sure my parents just picked up whatever was at the store and didn't read the labels to determine protein content) and also let them pick through our kitchen scraps. Somehow they not only survived but provided us with all the eggs we needed.​

Back
Top Bottom