I need hatching support

Pics
So I just set another batch of eggs. 34 in total. 17 bantam old English, 7 that I believe were buff brahma if I remember right. They might be silver laced wyandotte, cuz she said she had both and I cant remember which she said she would give me, and 10 of my own flock's eggs, which is a Rhode island red roo over the same hens and one black australorp.

I'm thinking about popping over to august hatch along, and either continuing this thread or starting a new one for this hatch.

Much easier if you just let a broodie hen do the hatching. Silkies are particularly great at hatching and proudly raise the chicks. We are at near 100% using Mother Nature’s way.

Much easier if you just let a broodie hen do the hatching. Silkies are particularly great at hatching and proudly raise the chicks. We are at near 100% using Mother Nature’s way.
Well, one of the babies that hatched out was a silkie, so fingers crossed it turns out to be a hen!!

Look im no manual expert but with my guineas egg that i once hatched with a still air they pipped on day 24 so i waited to day 25 - 26 no results so i started it i started to destroy the shell.. But i used a little water on the white layer the first layer of that hatch.. So i can reveal the veins.. Turns out she absorded it so i began to destroy it untill she hatched successfully.. There are sometimes when the chicken's butt is stuck with a weird vein.. Thats a cord thst provides food and water.. If you run into that problem then skip it around and leave the chick to do the hard work! And while you're breaking the shell always drop warm water if youre seeing the veins.. Cold waters give a shock.. If the egg bleeds that means you missed a vein asap put the egg back in the incubator.. Hope this helps! :)

I think that at this point you should sit tight and just watch them and don’t handle them or mess with them. They will probably do better on their own than with your help. They can survive after they hatch for at least a day on the yolk they have.

My assist seems super tired and like hes having a hard time moving. That kind of thing normal for a chick who struggled to hatch?
I had a late hatch that had to be assisted. He was small and seemed to have neurological issues as well as a bent neck. He had difficulty walking and if he fell over, he could not hardly right himself (I just named him Screetch and assumed it was a him). He died in the night after about 4 days. Sorry to be a downer, but sometimes there is just no hope for a chick. I hope yours does well

Attachments

• Screetch c.jpg
    Screetch c.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
He looks much better
I haven't heard of a chick chair and vet wrap. I had one splay legged chick. I cut a straw to the size of the width between a chicks legs and put a small rubberband through it. then, pt the bands around his legs- like a splint. He kept getting it off, and I had to put it back. In about 3 days, he was walking just fine and never looked back.

The chick is thriving now. A couple days in a chick chair and vetwrap, then a couple more days with the vetwrap hobbles and hes running around and being a normal chick. :thumbsup:wee

I have another thread where I documented his rehab process if youd like to check it out.

Back
Top Bottom