I need help..AGAIN, with these silkies..please!!!UPDATE::PICS

O.K., first let me play the voice of reason and ask everyone to calm down for a moment before taking any drastic actions.

Second, let me ask for clarification because I feel I missed something. When she "gave" you the chickens it was my understanding she stated she realized she couldn't care for them properly and was "giving" them to you? Yes, No??

Next time you hear from her she calls and says she has someone who wants to buy some of "her" chickens. Yes, No??

I'm kind of clear up to that point - then hysteria begins. From what I can tell, you didn't give her an answer and became worried that if you said "no" she would come on your property and steal them? Yes, No??

Sorry - I'm just really confused as to all the drastic actions being contemplated.

Have you given her a firm and simple "no". Yes, No??

If yes, and she didn't like that answer - what was her response?

Have you explained to her that they are your chickens now, were inhumanely abused and that "no way, no how" will she ever get them back nor is she allowed to sell them - they are yours now. If so, what was her response?

I'm sorry if these answers were explained in prior posts and if so, I've missed them. If you have NOT had the above conversations with her and are only assuming the worst, please try talking with her first. Of course, if she is stating that they are hers and she will steal them if necessary, then I can understand drastic measures. I'm just saying that if that conversation has never taken place, maybe it should before you ship the birds off or cull them for their own protection.

This is meant in all good ways to offer help. Please receive it as such. I'm praying for you and for those poor birds and you are an angel for taking them on. Just don't want you to worry yourself sick about something that may not be a problem after all. You need your strength and time to take care of those birds.

It is my prayer and belief that if you talk to her she will understand and she will never bother you again.

For those asking about the shipping, I've been doing some research and it looks like you can get a 3-stall box from

http://www.fortune3.com/Shop@Horizon/4_Stall_Shippers-4_Stalls_Do_it_Yourself.html

for $17.95. It has a fixed USPS shipping of $18.00, no matter what the weight.

But you can also get a 9 pound box from the same place for $15.95 and ship it priorty mail (2 days) for $13.10.

I'm not sure if Deb is interested in shipping yet or not, but if she does, maybe we can chip in money to help cover shipping costs!!

As Ruth brings up, I am curious about the actual conversation. Was there one, or was a voicemail or something? Have you talked to her since?

I agree with the direct aproach. Just tell her no! Tell her she gave you the birds, you have plenty of documentation of their condition that would hold up in court. If she wants to push this she risks fines and jail time for anamal neglect.

If she has said or implied that she will come on your property and take them, I belive you can get a restraining order. Then if she does come to your property, you can have her arrested.

Quote:
Yes, yes, yes!!
Call anyone in t.v. and let them know what is going on. All the documentation is right here on byc! Photos and all. Now also call the authorities..better yet..go in person and show them the photos and give them dates and explain the situation to them so they know AHEAD of time. Contact anyone!!!! The more publicity you cause the better off you and all the chickens will be. If the local animal control won't help then by gosh the state officials most certainly will!!! Look them up on the internet and contact them at once|!!! I agree, what happens now is what you do not what she does. Take charge girl, you have put too much time, money and energy not to mention emotions into this. By george, I wish I lived closer ...I cannot believe someone here isn't nearby to help you!!!
These are not "drastic actions", this should have been done from day one.
here is the link that tells of this old woman's phone call and what she asked justasnack to do for her:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=17913

Last edited:
Only day old chicks can be sent Priority mail. Adult chickens can only be sent Express mail. Besides I don't think they would survive the 2 to 3 day trip for priority, even if you could use it. Also each bird must weigh more than 6 ounces, be disease free, and shipped in an approved container like the ones on JenniferJoIN's link. But I can tell you Express won't be $18.00. I did some research at work today(postal clerk). Let us know Justusnak. I'm still willing.

I think the Express mail was $45.00 for that specific package. Wowza. I thought adult birds could only be shipped Express, but I saw somewhere mention Priority mail, so I was hopeful!

Now we just need Deb to update us!

Thanks everyone.....I did call and leave her a message...she didnt answer. This is what I said.

Beth...this is Deb....about the chickens. It was my understanding that I was rescueing these babies, and that I was to find them homes. The night you left them here, I took pictures, and sent them out to my friends on the internet. They have all been spoken for, and I am waiting for them to get to complete health for shipping and pickups. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding...but these chickens all have good homes waiting on them.

I havent heard from her yet. Maybe this will end it all.......praying!!! I just need to get them moved. The hens, there are 13 of them. Most of them are good and healthy. Mostly OEGB/silkie crosses, looks mostly like EOGB with puffy hairdoos. There are a few looks more like silkies...but you can tell they are not pure, with straight tail feathers. VERY CUTE! Tomorrow I will try to get better pics. The Roos...there are 7. Two of them are stark white, mostly silkie looking. 3 are silver and tan, silkie looking..( one has no toes..Named Stubs)..and there is a tiny boy, looks just like a RIR, but a BIG floppy comb....and a white looks like a Leghorn with a LONG tail, and tiny bird. All are crowing. The silkie boys have the worst feet...the other 2, white and red...have decent feet, but the white has very crooked toes...and is a little flakey(cocky) I nicknamed him Flake. I will ship, if possible...but I have NO idea how...or IF I can with thier feet in these conditions. I will try to get better pics tomorrow. Thanks again everyone!!

Very good, Deb, I'm glad you left her a message like that. Maybe, she will just go away. What about the other birds that she has? I don't think she should be allowed to own birds in those conditions. I still think you should alert the proper authorities to her situation. You have done a great thing and I will support you in any decision you go with.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
that was a very good message that you left.
Now when she calls back and says that she was just "loaning" them to you or some such nonsence, you will have it on record.
Also if she's gonna to be tough on this, seeing the condition of these poor birds, I'd call animal control. I'd hate to be such a jerk about it, but these are STILL sentient beings and need to be treated as such.
Hugs...

Back
Top Bottom