I need help chicks are dying

I've got a thermometer it is reading about 90 under the gen an the cool area is 78. The floor is plywood with sand but I have paper towels over the sand for now. They are not eating very much and one that was drinking has started twitching and shaking its head. Some saliva/goo came out of its mouth. they appear to be looking a little better. They were fine when they got in and for about 5 hours. Then they had went down hill this last time I checked on them. They were all under the hen and when I tapped on the food and water all came running but 3 of what was left of them 13 at that point. When I picked up the electric hen 1 was sprawled out dead and the other 2 were stumbling and then laying prone. I have no idea what happened.

I lost another 3 right in the beginning but I think that was due to shipping because they looked weak when I got them home

I lost another 3 right in the beginning but I think that was due to shipping because they looked weak when I got them home

I do not remember if you mention their age, but If they are just a few days old---I would increase the temp to 95 to 100 just under the "hen". When you pick one up does its feet feel cool/cold?

They are 3 days old. They keep huddling around the hen. I put them under but they run out and go huddle again on the outside. About 2 minutes ago they all took off to the food and water and are hyper now

I've got a thermometer it is reading about 90 under the gen an the cool area is 78. The floor is plywood with sand but I have paper towels over the sand for now. They are not eating very much and one that was drinking has started twitching and shaking its head. Some saliva/goo came out of its mouth. they appear to be looking a little better. They were fine when they got in and for about 5 hours. Then they had went down hill this last time I checked on them. They were all under the hen and when I tapped on the food and water all came running but 3 of what was left of them 13 at that point. When I picked up the electric hen 1 was sprawled out dead and the other 2 were stumbling and then laying prone. I have no idea what happened.
Everything sounds good now. Overheating can kill a weaker chick very quickly. Now that you've gotten rid of the heat lamp, everything should be better.

Thanks to everyone. Some were twitching after drinking a lot so I got rid of save a chic water and replaced it with regular water so I hope that was the right thing to do. Hopefully they will push there way under the electric hen because some are being not let under

Thanks to everyone. Some were twitching after drinking a lot so I got rid of save a chic water and replaced it with regular water so I hope that was the right thing to do. Hopefully they will push there way under the electric hen because some are being not let under

Wait, how many chicks you got under this electric hen?? Are they packed---to tight? Reply back---you might have to do something else?

They are silkie bantams. Tiny things. My dad has rir and leghorns. This is my first time with silkies. I have 6 2 year old rir. My old man incubates a couple hundred and thinks it's no big deal when you lose some but I don't have that many to lose

Back
Top Bottom