I need help deciding which breed to get!

InformationSeeker

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2020
Don’t worry I’ve done a lot of research on many different breeds of duck I just don’t know which to get. I’m looking for gentle and friendly ducks that can lay a lot of eggs. I won’t use them for meat because I’ll just stick to my chickens for that. The three breeds that caught my eye were Ancona’s, Welsh harlequins, and Runners. If useful I live in Oregon where for most of the year it’s between 50s and 70s only gets to freezing for like 2-3 weeks.

Don’t worry I’ve done a lot of research on many different breeds of duck I just don’t know which to get. I’m looking for gentle and friendly ducks that can lay a lot of eggs. I won’t use them for meat because I’ll just stick to my chickens for that. The three breeds that caught my eye were Ancona’s, Welsh harlequins, and Runners. If useful I live in Oregon where for most of the year it’s between 50s and 70s only gets to freezing for like 2-3 weeks.
If you think of a better breed than those tell me

If you look on craigslist there are lots of local sources for ancona ducks. People around here seem pretty pleased with them. What part of Oregon are you in? I'm toying with the idea of hatching out a bunch of them but I don't neeeed more ducks because I already have an order from Holderreads coming in May. I'm really just bored.

All the breeds you listed are all great breeds, I've never owned a terrible duck breed, you just cant go wrong with ducks. Ducks would easily be able to handle those temps once they get older.

If you are just doing ducks for eggs why not consider a mix flock. Then you could have all three. It wouldn’t be a problem if you only got hens and weren’t interested in hatching out eggs.

Back
Top Bottom