I need help!!! My flock needs balance!

Viksceeks

Songster
May 5, 2019
Eastern WA
I need some opinions on what to do
I have 2 broody muscovy hens that are on the same nest (everyone lays in the nest unfortunately), I just put 16 fertile eggs under them that have been developing since Wednesday.
I also have 2 top hens, they've been picking on one particular duck hen and her face is torn up. Lately, they have laid off her though because their broodyness is in full swing. But now, one of my cockerels has decided to mate them while they're on their nest
Now my big hens are picking on my broiler chicks!
My flock balance is out of whack! I need help!!
I need some suggestions on what to do with the 2 ducks and 2 hens. I have the main coop, where the broody ducks are and 2 small coops that I haven't moved into the pen yet
So- would you separate the ducks in the 2 small pens and put eggs under each of them?
Put the big hens in a small coop and cockerels in the other small coop? Leaving both ducks on the nest?
I'm afraid of what will happen when the eggs hatch out

You may need more hens. Roosters mate a lot which can be hard on just a few hens. Definitely keep the more mellow of the two. I assume the broilers aren't staying long term?
One is to size so he will be in my freezer this weekend. The others will be ready in 2, maybe 3 weeks
I ended up getting fertile week old Welsh harlequin eggs for one duck and call eggs for the other yesterday. Both hens are separated, and enjoying solitude in the small coops
I have to lock up my hens before letting the ducks out to get a bath but they don't seem to mind
I definitely won't be keeping more than one rooster

How big is your coop? The smaller it is the more you will have problems. What exactly do you have totally? Number of birds, breeds? Ages?

Sounds like you need to do some separating. Meat birds should be by themselves. Any pesky cockerals need to be penned separately.

Broody hen should be separated so they can't be bothered, and no one adds to their nests. It's never a good idea to keep 2 broody hens near each other.

How big is your coop? The smaller it is the more you will have problems. What exactly do you have totally? Number of birds, breeds? Ages?

Sounds like you need to do some separating. Meat birds should be by themselves. Any pesky cockerals need to be penned separately.

Broody hen should be separated so they can't be bothered, and no one adds to their nests. It's never a good idea to keep 2 broody hens near each other.

My coop is only 6x10 ft and I lock them all up at night. It's rarely an issue when locked up because they get locked up after roosting and door opened before they wake.
I have 4 teenage chickens (2 might be cockerals)
2 ducks
2 hens
9 broilers
The run is probably 35ft+ by 20ish+ ft.
I'm debating on putting the hens in one small coop and the cockerals in the other, every one else in the big one at night. During the day, I don't want to keep them locked up though.
My hens are always bullys, that's probably the only reason they're left out of the original 7 (dog killed 5)
What would your set up be? Who do you think should go in the 2 small coops?
Also, if I separate the ducks now, idk if it would break the broodiness (I want them to brood). Or should I wait until the day before hatching and separate them?

If 2 hens set right near each other they often become confused at hatch time as they bond with their young through the egg those last few days. That why they chirp in the egg before hatch. Another broody may bond with them by sound, or hens will attack each other's young because they aren't theirs, so keeping them far enough away from each other is best.

I once let 2 muscovy brood next to each other and one hen took over everything.

Your coop us chaotic because of the different groups. That's normal. Only you can decide what if anything needs to be separated. You should expect some chaos, but you don't want blood being drawn.

If 2 hens set right near each other they often become confused at hatch time as they bond with their young through the egg those last few days. That why they chirp in the egg before hatch. Another broody may bond with them by sound, or hens will attack each other's young because they aren't theirs, so keeping them far enough away from each other is best.

I once let 2 muscovy brood next to each other and one hen took over everything.

Your coop us chaotic because of the different groups. That's normal. Only you can decide what if anything needs to be separated. You should expect some chaos, but you don't want blood being drawn.
I read that they can kill the chicks. I've hatched many clutches from muscovys but never had 2 sit on the same nest. They're sisters, and get very concerned when one leaves. So far no new eggs have been added (they wouldn't be fertile as I have no drake)
Also, I've never moved a broody muscovy successfully. Every time I moved her, she went back to the old nest.

Back
Top Bottom