I Need Help Now!! Update Pg 2

Is she choking? How do her lungs sound?

Maybe put some ACV in her water. I hope she is still alive. Maybe your instincts were right with the sulmet and maybe it is just one of those things that you cannot control.
sad.png
I will check back later.

Last edited:
Not two minutes passed after I wrote the update and she passed
hit.gif

RIP Miss Pretty Peep

The only good thing to come out of this is I found 3 good Avian vets within 45 minutes of my house.....but what a way to find out
sad.png

Losing this girl is just really hard.....I just love my NNs....

Thanks to all who tried to help. I just couldn't get her to a vet in time.....

Sincerely sorry! Please watch your other chickens for any symptoms in case it was something contagious. You could also take a poop sample to one of the avian vets (check prices for a fecal check) and see if they can do a check for parasites including cocci. That might help you figure things out and prevent further loss. Again, I am so sorry. It is very hard to lose a chicken/friend.

I can get my regular vet to do a fecal sample...if I had supplies, I could do it myself. Do you really think it could have been worms? It really seemed like a crop issue....I'm trying to talk myself into doing a necropsy but I can't get past the fact that she was my baby
hit.gif

leadwolf1 I am so sorry for your loss. She sounds like she was a very good chicken and very special to you. It is very hard to lose a special friend like that. Sometimes there is only so much a person can do. You did your best for her.
hugs.gif

Usually the dark purple comb and face means respiratory and/or heart failure. The strange bruising on the neck and crop that came and went I'm wondering if it was some type of bleed or blockage so that circulation to that region was cut off maybe resulting in tissue death and systemic infection. Maybe the bacteria was inside the crop, I don't know, but it seems there was some crop involvement and that the crop didn't appear to be functioning. She was a big, healthy hen, maybe she didn't have a good enough ticker to support her size. Anyway, I'm so sorry. These cases are always the hardest when you have a big healthy bird and they get taken down like this. I'm not sure there was anything you could do or even a vet could do. Some type of injectable antibiotic (I don't know, Tylan?) may have helped but if there's tissue death it wouldn't have saved her. I'm stumped she took such a sudden turn for the worst. I'm very sorry for your loss. Did she have any type of bite marks anywhere in the crop area or where the bruising came and went?

There were no marks on this hen except for a very small 'peck' site at the back of her neck. Our NN roo is getting frisky and this girl was just at point of lay...makes me so sad that she didn't get to that point
hit.gif

Here is an intesting thought...almost a month ago, I had a young buff polish roo taken by a hawk. At that time, this hen showed the same bruising signs. Could she have sustained damage at that point? The polish and NNs were always together and at the time I thought maybe she had tried to help him or had been attacked herself but escaped. Now I wonder if she actually was damaged somehow...even if just to be almost scared to death???

If she had a weak heart, could this have been the beginning to the end? I have another thread for necropsy sites. I need to know what happened. I thought about heart failure...now I'm worried about the other 3. They are really big girls and this one was actually the next to smallest of them...

Thanks for the help. It really gives me something to thing about....

Back
Top Bottom