I need help on how to mix chicks of different ages

ShelleyBurch

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2015
I got some Polish chicks from Meyer Hatchery on May 23th. Two of the chicks died within 48 hours so they offered me a refund so I could replace those two chicks. The next available hatch wasn't until June 13th (3 weeks later), so I ordered 3 new chicks (figured 3 was better than 2)! I completely forgot how fast baby chicks grow and my 3-week old chicks are going to be way bigger than my 1-2 day old chicks. I know they can't go in together right away because the big ones might kill the little ones. So, my current plan is to put a little fence inside my brooder box to keep the bigger chicks away from the smaller chicks but so they can still see each other and get used to each other so I can put them together down the line.

BUT, here is my problem. I have an EcoGlow 2 for the heater for the chicks, but I only have one. The new chicks will definitely need the heater, but I don't see a way for the new and old to share. Do the 3-week olds still need the heat? They are inside the house, not outside, and they are all getting their feathers. OR, does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? I really don't want to use a heat lamp because of how dangerous they are, and I don't want to buy another EcoGlow because they are $80! So, how can I keep both sets of chicks warm and safe?

Here is reason why broody hens and chicks need to be behind ratwire/hardwire cloth. And, three week old chicks should be OK if temperature isn't below 75° out of any direct draft on dry bedding off the floor.
Pet Smart has National Geographic brand of ceramic heat emitting fixture for $25. They are about 1/3 that on eBay. I use them in ceramic fixture heat lamp same as regular heat lamp bulb.

No, but she probably has helped herself to a few eggs. If you got chickens, you got mice and rats, you got snakes. We politely asked her to leave the area. Snakes have always been welcome around the barn and yard.

Years ago, before i was born, my grandmother had a broody in a hat box. She went out to gather eggs and found a 6 1/2 foot black snake wrapped around the box, head under the hen. Papaw killed the snake and it had eaten four eggs. One egg broke and the other three were recovered. The three were put back under hen and later hatched. Papaw and Mamaw hated to kill that snake as they knew it would help kill rats and mice. But times were hard during depression and chickens and eggs were traded for groceries.

Back
Top Bottom