I need help sexing Button Quails

lovintheridge

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
I'm new here to the site and was hoping to get some advice. My husband built this amazing avariey for me for Valentine's and my son Bought me a pair of button quails. They are absolutely darling, we've named them Pitter and Patter. But I'm having difficulty sexing the cream colored one. I've figured that the gray one is a male, watching then for several hours a day this past week the grey I'm asuming is a male he does the whole male crowing thing nice and loud. I haven't seen the cream do the crowing although one of them does do it very low, I can't tell who's making the noise. I'm attaching a few pictures in hopes someone can share their ideas on what sex it might be. Thank you.

Heres two pictures of the both of Pitter and Patter together
2009_0221quails0010.jpg

2009_0221quails0011.jpg

Here's Patter (Grey)
2009_0221quails0013.jpg

And here is Pitter
2009_0221quails0012.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

The gray one looks like a female to me, but if he crows I guess not. On the cream one I can't tell very well if her bib (area under her chin) is cream or white. It it's white it would be a boy and if it's cream it's a girl. I would say girl if I had to guess.

I think the gray is a male too- especially if he is crowing. My females don 't do the crow thing. I have a cream button like that, if her vent (rear) area is not rust or brown colored it should be a hen.

Thank you for your help, I 'll post a couple of more pics. of front views of their cute little faces in an hour or so. Maybe a front view will help in determining the bibs. I personally can't see bibs present. Is it then possible that a hen imitates a male crowing sound?

Honestly I can't tell if either one is male. Bibs do not mean one is male or female. The only way to tell 'for sure' is if they have red or pink vent feathers. The 'crowing' that is done only by males is the 'growling' or as I call it, the Darth Vader breathing. Both males and females do the 'he-he-he' thing.
In my opinion, by the pictures shown, they are both female. You need to get a pic of the vent feathers, but even by looking at your pics, the area near their back legs, they do not look to have colored vent feathers. And neither of them have bibs, if you were to believe the 'bibbed=males' people.

Posted by the OP on another thread by mistake

Took the buttons out to photo them closer, each one at a time, to post the pictures here and as I did each button made the same exact call, that of a male button quail. You know the really loud like laughing hee hee hee sound. So unless females have been known to mimic that sound my guess is that they are both boys. But, Thank you to all those who gave their advice earlier with the pictures I posted. So when shopping for buttons how do you find a female?​

Back
Top Bottom