I need help! Should I have culled the chick earlier?

chickensassy

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 25, 2011
Texas
First timer with babies and when they hatched one just had a funny walk, after 4 days i inquired on byc and heard it was splay leg. I was informed to help it with a splint but not a moment to soon so I did right away and it did better for about 2 weeks. The third week it was better but started using its wing more and sitting more. It was such a fighter and acted like it was much much better. Now it is about 6 weeks old and is not doing well. its smaller than all the others, it resorted back to its splay leg but much worse, it uses its wing and sits all the time unless it manages to get food or drink. it gets run over by all the others especially when it wants to eat. What do I do? Should I have culled it when it was younger. HELP HELP HELP!!!

Not to be mean but no matter how hard these decisions are for us we need to think of the bird first. Even if they do not appear to be in pain per say, animals do not show pain the way we think of it. It is always better to cull earlier than latter for you (before you get so attached) and for them before they are abused by the other chickens in the flock. At this point, you will need to either separate and provide a very different caged existence for the girl or have her put down humanely such as broken neck or slit jugular I believe are the quickest. Sorry things went south, it is never easy making these decisions. Remember to do what is best to the bird not for you.

There are other things I do for splayed leg. I boot their feet for one and I lay a liner on the bottom of the brooder that lets they get a grip so their legs don't slide out from under them. I don't know what it's called but it's like a foam-like material that looks loosely weaved. It can be found at walmart or a dollar store. I've had to put down fery few chicks.
I also hold them for about 20 minutes at a time where they have to put some weight on their legs to stand. I'm doing more of the holding it up but it's feet are on one palm of my hand and I hold it's legs so they are under them the way they are suppose to be.

Don't get me wrong. It's not like they just tolerate it, I have to put their legs back in the right position many times but I feel it streghtens their legs. The last chick with egg issues was actually scooting around on it's fanny with it's legs sticking out front. I almost did the deed right them but I decided to give it a shot and a few days to improve. I gave it a few days just on the shelf liner and no boots or therapy. It was up and running around with the rest in 3 days.

The liner I reuse. It washes very easily. Soak in soapy water a little bit and rinse out. A little scrubbing on the stubborn spots.

I hope this is useful if this happens again. If not, a sharp pair of scissors and a quick snip of the neck and it's all over in a second.
hit.gif

Thank you both sooooo much for your reply! I am going to try to help it and see how it does for a week and make a decision then. I will try to keep you informed. If you have any other advice let me know.

Just make sure it's not getting trampled by it's hatch mates. That certainly won't help any. In fact they can make matters worse. Don't let poop build up on it either. A little cleaning won't hurt it as long as it don't get chilled. I've washed many bottoms from pasty butt when it's hot outside. I hold them under warm water (their back side) and use an old rag to clean it all off and another old rag to dry it as much as I can then right in under a heat lamp. I've never lost one from it. I even soak feet if they get soiled. I try to keep my babies clean. They just don't seem to care if they walk thru poo or sit in or or what ever.

Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom