I need help solving a mystery...

I checked the bedding and up in the rafters. The coop is new and I haven't put in anything permanent yet, so, there's few places to hide. I wired over the small hole I had the cord pass through, and, checked the bedding well, I'll check it again today when I put them in for the night. If it happens again, I'm going to spend the night with 'em.
smile.png

Thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate it.

Steve,

Sometimes spending the night with them is the only way to figure out what is going on.

I had a friend in Illinois that raised chickens for eggs and meat as a small business on the side. He was losing several chickens a night and he could not figure how the critter was getting in or what it was.

He decided to sit up all night in the laying house to catch the culprit in the act. Of course the first night it did not show the second night it did. It was a mink or weasal, I don't remember anymore, and the sneak was coming in through a hole in the bottom of the coop that was hidden by nest boxes.
The coop was only a few inches off the ground and he obviously did not check under the nest boxes.

Well the thing never did get to enjoy another chicken dinner but my friend had another hole to patch in the back of the chicken coop. Minks or weasels are not that big and a 20 guage can make a hole in wood at close range.
big_smile.png

I went through the coop today and I can't see any place where a critter could get in. When I closed the door on the coop tonight all the chickens piled up at the door like there was something in there and they knew it. My fear is in this heat just piling up may suffocate birds. Anyone have any suggestions on how to un-pile chickens?

It's past eleven here in S GA and it's still 84 outside. My chicks were in the house at dark and they have been OK with the heat. I keep plenty of fresh water in the house and they were roosting at eight or so on their own. I had a problem with a critter but mine left blood so there was no doubt it was not heat.

Well, they all made it through the night. I think I will just check the house well every night before I close the door just in case a snake wonders in during the day.

Poor babies, they're terrified. I know you're going to solve this. I have a couple of huge dog cages on hand to move my birds in an emergency, it's my biggest fear something will get in, and you will be their hero when you get it.

Snakes hate sulfur powder so if you can get some they will not cross it.

(Frozen jugs of water are popular in Florida for heat probs, along with the fan, as mentioned.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom