I need help with a turkey question

Quarterhorses1

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Jan 18, 2022
I have two pet turkeys, a ton and a hen, and I was wondering if y’all thought they would leave if they free ranged. I really want to try, but I’m scared the Tom will take off. Any experience with this?? Thank you

I have two pet turkeys, a tom and a hen, and I was wondering if y’all thought they would leave if they free ranged. I really want to try, but I’m scared the Tom will take off. Any experience with this?? Thank you
As long as you are providing the feed and water and they already know this is home, they should stay.

I have two pet turkeys, a ton and a hen, and I was wondering if y’all thought they would leave if they free ranged. I really want to try, but I’m scared the Tom will take off. Any experience with this?? Thank you
Providing food, water, and letting the pen open 24/7 so they have access should keep them around. Especially if the hen is a lap turkey. They're pretty social and I'm betting she'll come back for some lovin'. You could always try during the day and lock them back up at night as well. That's what I do with all of my birds. Most of the time they are already back in the pen when I go out in the evening.

Providing food, water, and letting the pen open 24/7 so they have access should keep them around. Especially if the hen is a lap turkey. They're pretty social and I'm betting she'll come back for some lovin'. You could always try during the day and lock them back up at night as well. That's what I do with all of my birds. Most of the time they are already back in the pen when I go out in the evening.
Ok thank you. They are quite the couple😂

I had a wonderful tom. I liked him more than my hen turkey. He was a big meat bird though. Not able to lift himself off the ground.

I had a wonderful tom. I liked him more than my hen turkey. He was a big meat bird though. Not able to lift himself off the ground.
My hen is a BBW and my Tom is a burning red, so the hen is a meat bird being raised as a pet with a good quality food and lots of exercise.

My hen is a BBW and my Tom is a burning red, so the hen is a meat bird being raised as a pet with a good quality food and lots of exercise.
I assume you mean Bourbon Red since there is no such thing as a Burning Red turkey.

Among other things broad breasted turkeys are bred for their temperaments. Unfortunately they are not bred for longevity.

Be careful and keep an eye out during breeding season. Most of my hen turkey deaths I had were hens when we free ranged them who had gone off to go broody in deep foliage on the edge of the property. All of them got taken by preds if we couldn't find them before night. My toms always stayed close to the house.

Back
Top Bottom