I need help with incubating please

billiebrat

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Altoona, PA
Hi,
Friday I had 10 Cuckoo marans hatch without a problem. Lost one of them last night. It looked like one of the others had pulled on his "umbilical cord" and pulled some if his intestines out. I careful worked them back in yesterday and thought he was doing well. That was 10 out of 14. Also in the same 'bator were 18 Buckeye eggs. Yesterday, they finally started hatching, but were having some problems getting out. I decided to try to help after hours and hours of watching. The membranes were like rubber. I have one that is out and seems tired but ok. I have one still trying to get out of the shell. I lost the other 3. What puzzles me is that the 3 that didnt make it seemed to have had an very large amount of yolk left unabsorbed. The conditions were fine for the cuckoos, but the buckeyes had trouble. Is there something I should have done differently with the Buckeyes? I am so upset. This kills me everytime I lose some like this. I don't know if it is something I did wrong or just maybe they weren't strong or something. Please let me know what you think...

This used to happen to me in my LG incubator.

The membrane on the inside of the egg feeling like rubber Is from not enough humidity, your not supposed to open the incubatorat all during time of hatch, I know its tempting but you cant, that humidity is so the membrane will soften and they can tear through it easily.

The yolk thing sounds like they wanted to hatch out too early.

My rule is to try never to help a chick out, because when ever I do, they are too weak to survive.

Best Of luck
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom