I need help with math on Tylovet Soluable!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tania7120, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Tania7120

Tania7120 New Egg

Dec 12, 2012
    Ok, I have some chickens with breathing difficulties and was told to get some Tylovet Soluble for them! A normal package is 100 g, but my feed store only had 20 g packets of it.

The instructions say: "Chickens and Turkeys: To assure thorough dissolution, place the Tylovet (contents of the jar or pouch) in a mixing container and add one gallonf water (3790 mL) to the material. Mix this concentrated solution with water to make 50 gallons (189 liters) of teated drinking water."

How do I make this work with only 20 grams??? I would like to be able to use it a gallon at a time as needed over the next 3 days. I don't have anything that will hold 10 gallons of liquid. I only have 15 chickens. However, I also have 2 ducks in the same space. I will have to keep the chickens locked up for 3 days.

Thank you for you help!!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What does your package say? The instructions you listed are for the 100 gm package. The dosage information for tylosin (Tylan brand) is 2 gm in a gallon of water for 3-5 days. I don't know if you have anything to measure out the packet in weight or in teaspoons or whatever, but it seems that you would need 1/10 of your 20 gm packet to mix in a gallon.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    One thing you could do since you are going to need to mix a new solution each day and you may have to throw out the rest is to mix up the contents into a measuring cup, and take out 10% of the mixture, put it into a water container and add water to make one gallon. I am not a math wizard, so please check my math.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by