I need help with my dove!

The Red Rooster

Poultry Observer
8 Years
Aug 14, 2011
Rapid City, South Dakota
My dove is tossing her head back and starts twisting it around back and forth when she lands on the ground of her cage. She also puts her wing out and shakes it, and also shakes her tail.

I need help!

Last edited:
As far as I know, wry neck is not something that can just develope, you have to be born with it. There may be some other underlying problem with your dove.

My juvinile morning dove did it when she wanted more food. It finally went away when she started eating seeds on her own. Same symptoms; throwing head upside down, throwing wing out and doing little birdie "convulsions" after a few days i realized she wasn't getting enough to eat. Apparently the "temper tantrum" was the only way she got my attention! She did it worst when i put her down- Now we're inseperable and there are no more fits! And yes i'm very sure my bird was not sick-my husband could walk in a room and her head was normal, but as soon as she saw me upside down it went!

She could just be trying to get attention. Food = love to little birds, and doves are birds that normally pair up and stay with their mate for life. She is probably bonding with you. If that isn't what you wanted, you might want to get mr dove a little quickly! Mine liked being petted at this stage. Now that she's more comfortable on her own i miss these times. I wish i could send pics and videos but i'm new here!

It's probly Paromixovirous (PMV). It can be treated with antibiotics. It's contagious to other pigeons and doves. There is a vacine for it. Normally, unless it was a really good bird, I would put it down, rather than let it suffer or spread it to the rest of the flock.

She is sill alive. She shakes when you hold her, and she still does her head thing and shakes her wings and her tail.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom