I need help.

Cheri

Songster
12 Years
May 6, 2007
Dayton, TX
How do I tell boy chicks from girls? They aren't that old. I bought them the day before Easter. I hope to heaven I don't have 7 roosters.
lol.png

Oh and can I raise Turkeys with my chickens? I know you aren't supposed to raise ducks with chickens.

Last edited:
turkeys w/chickens are a no. turkeys can get diseases from chicks......When they were about 1/3 grown, mine got sick and died from being in chicken house.

No pics yet. Ok so no turkeys with chickens. They are hilarious. Thanks! As soon as I can I will take pics. I think I have 3 white rocks and Im not sure what the red ones are. Let me explain. I bought the chicks for Easter. I got a blue, yellow and purple ones and then got 4 red ones. I think the red ones are hens as they are small than the others. I think the blue one is definately a rooster as it has a comb that is prominent. They are just now getting their tail feathers.

What breed(s) do you have, can you describe the feathering? Is there any 'baby fuzz' still left? Size and color of comb and waddles..?

There really is no way to just 'tell' at that age, different breeds and sexes develope at different rates.

You'd get a ton of opinions if you'd post pictures.

On edit: I posted just after you re-posted, but before your post showed up....lol...makes no sense, right? Anyway, I also have dyed Easter chicks. Do you know where the feed store ordered from? Mine are Leghorns and a RIR. All cockerals. It is likely that yours are all cockerals, as well. Here's a couple pics of mine..maybe it'll help you see what the comb should look like at that age...

This is a Leghorn and the RIR (cockerals) at just under 5 weeks:
DSC01382.jpg

This is a Leghorn cockeral at 6 weeks:
DSC01501.jpg

Another Leghorn cockeral at 6 weeks:
DSC01506.jpg

The RIR cockeral at 6 weeks:
DSC01499.jpg

Last edited:
I know I know but I don't have a decent camera. I think three of them are white rocks. The combs are more prominent in the white chickens and they are smaller in the red chickens. The red chickens have brown feathers coming in and with white dots on the wings. They are beautiful. That is all I can tell you right now. As soon as I can I will post pics.

What is a pullet? Im sorry I don't know the correct wordage.

Last edited:
Quote:
Ah. My! I bet we got ours from the same chicken farm! Mine look like yours but their combs are much smaller. What is a RIR? What am I going to do with 7 roosters? HELP!

RIR - Rhode Island Red

My chicks came from Ideal Poultry. The dyed Easter chicks they sell are one of two possibilities: an assorted bunch of roosters (which will not be a huge assortment, most will be their 'signature' White Leghorn- the Ideal 236) and the other possibility is st. run Cornish Rocks (meat birds). If you have Cornish Rocks, they should be quite large by now if fed free choice.

Well can I wait until they get bigger to find out? I do believe the blue and yellow may be cockerals. The RIR (I figured out what it meant later. LOL) are about the same size but their combs are smaller. My chickens aren't as big as yours yet. I bought them the day before Easter. They were so tiny and cute. I should have talked to the feed store owner. The old owner would let me trade roosters for hens but the new one is a pain.

Back
Top Bottom