I need humane ways to euthanize chicks

We are all going to reach deep inside at moments like this. The tools we bring to the task are bundled in our own experiences and emotions. My personal inclination is to avoid beheadings due to bad experiences with that method. Just my experience, I won't try to discourage those who have had better luck with it, just be honest about my experience. We are all talking about something we don't WANT to have to do. For meat making, I found the kill cone and some careful anatomical info to be a revelation. It really worked as advertised. Not sure I would have allowed the chickens in the door otherwise.

When I say personal experience I am not talking about an animal I killed in the freezer. I haven't had to do that yet.
fl.gif
I was talking about the physical experiences I have had with hypothermia. Not an imagined fear - actual personal, multiple experiences, wet, dry and and varying temps.

Less direct but just as compelling is evidence I have seen in the wild. Animals who slowly die of cold don't show signs of distress. Of COURSE a critter that falls through ice into a pond is going to experience panic. But a reptile, bird or bat caught asleep in the wrong place at the wrong time just goes to sleep, permanently. I list those because they are what I have experience with. You find them roosted, curled in a nest, out on a rock, it just looks like they are asleep.

If I were a little mouse or bird and had to choose, put me in a box with some bedding to slow the temp drop and put me in the freezer.

I hope this is an informative digression, not the start of strife. We all have to do what allows us to live with ourselves later.

Hugs to the OP

I really think you should use the chopping or cutting method for this. If you can wait, maybe you can find out if anyone you know would be willing to do it for you. I really don't suggest that you freeze it because there is plenty of discomfort for the chick before it actually loses enough body temp to "fall asleep". I have seen cold chicks before and they cry and huddle and shiver. Drowning is no good either. I have seen several crime shows where physicians have described drowning as very, very painful way to die. As for the other methods with the baking soda, lighter fluid, they seem a bit prolonged if you ask me, and you can make it be over in an instant. I don't know about the starter fluid method. I don't know about the baking soda, either. If I were thinking of doing that I would do some online research to verify how humane it is. (No offense to anyone, I just try to be really carefull with what I do with my birds)

Also, just to add, i don't cull my birds but sometimes you have to put someone out of thier misery. I keep a sharp hatchet just for this use, so it stays sharp and a good stump with a couple of nails in it. It's worse to be unprepared than to have it ready. My brother usually dispatches, and he just says "I hate killing things." and gets it over with. I can do it, but the boys usually bail me out.

Last edited:
The baking soda method takes less than 15 seconds to put the baby to sleep, one minute to finish the job. It's very simple if one reads the instructions and follows them carefully.

If anyone has questions about this, I'll be happy to answer as best I can. I have tried other methods and found this to be the best for me- I'm the kind of girl that pulls worms out of the ditch so they don't drown, so taking life is really hard.

Quote:
Go back and read my post again.....I never said lighter fluid......it's starter fluid, completely different thing. Starter fluid is nothing more than ether which is what they used to use to put people under in surgery. You are just overdosing the chick on ether.

i have never put a chick to its death before its time and understand your pain i had a batch of very sick chicks once and before the baby dies just place him between two snack bags filled with warm water and wait for him to pass p.s(the chick will only be still if you do this right before he passes) this may not be usefull now but on day you will just have to help a chick pass and this is the most confortable way to the chick, he feels like he is under his mom and will simpely sleep and pass, this is a hard time for you and i will pray for you no matter what manner you help him pass in!

Thank you, our little Sunshine is only a week old and we tried everything to get her leg to work but looks like it is hip displasia. It just sticks out the back and sideways. She cannot walk and just lays under the teddy bear we have in the brooder for comfort. We will be doing what the link suggests and think this is best for all. She will be missed by her siblings and us. She will always be our little sunshine for as short a life as she had.

Thank you!

P.S. Her passing is complete and she went very peacefully. She wasn't in any pain when we started and is now with all her feather friends on the other side of the rainbow bridge.

Last edited:
I am so grateful I found this thread, I have 2 chicks with leg deformities that could not be fixed, and i've been crying on and off all morning thinking i was going to have to do something like snap their necks or cut it off to end their suffering...so i thank everyone who posted "passive" ways to euthanize, it has made a really horrible but necessary task less awful.

THANK YOU! Finally, after losing three chicks the hard way I found this answer. This worked so quick and gave a chick quick peace. I felt so helpless but now I know how to help the little ones that can't be saved and I have peace as well. Sending a great big hug from me.

Back
Top Bottom