i need ideas for a homemade waterer

rays123

Songster
11 Years
Dec 8, 2008
GA
as the title says i need ideas for a different homemade water. right now im using a 5 gallon bucket with a pan and its just not cutting it anymore. its heavy and a lot of trouble to clean any ideas? kinda want something thats hanging also but it doesnt have to be

I made the feeder, it was easy cheap and works great. I found the plant saucers at Menards. Drilled the holes and bolted them together. Then you just add the feed from the top. I can feed 60 meat birds all day on one fill. I will be making more soon. I think the total cost was less than four dollars. Now to figure out the kind of water system that will work for my setup.
20470_chickfeeder.jpg

Quote:
Like I said I'm already using this waterer and I need something different bc this one is a lot of trouble to me

I don't have any pictures yet, but I've just completed an automatic waterer as follows: Got an scrapped 80 gallon water well pressure tank for free from a well service outfit, the rubber bladder inside the tank was ruptured, as they all seem to do eventually. This one wasn't built in a manner that allow the bladder to be replaced, so I cut a hole in the side of the tank, cut out the rubber bladder, and welded the hole in the tank back up, giving me a heavy duty 80 gallon steel tank. I installed a 1" ball valve on top to permit filling, and using the tanks normal bottom outlet, ran a 1/2 inch pvc pipe, with a ball valve in line, to a float valve in a PVC tank that I found at a thrift store for $5.00. The float valve controls the water level in this small tank. From it I ran a 1/2 inch PVC pipe into the chickens run and into a 3 foot long 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe with 3 "T" fittings in it, with the unused open part of each T point up. These are what the chickens drink from. The water level at the drinking area is level with the water level in the small tank, so as they drink, the level drops, float valve opens, and the level is brought back up. Now I don't have to think about water for quite a while, other than to clean out the drinking section occasionally. I think it's all set now. Ed

Back
Top Bottom