I need my Chicken Enclosure to be Fox Proof

They can get over my 8 foot wooden fence with no issue. It’s not a matter of how high they can jump, they can climb the fences. You can get rollers for the top of the fence but they are pricey. Depending on the width of your run you may want to consider a roof or tarp.
Do you think I would be able to find these at, say, Home Depot or something?

I’d raise a roof above it that will accommodate your height. Fox can get in but more than that hawks, owls, etc can fly in. Raccoons, mink, weasel, rat, and others can climb in if they can’t get in through the fence holes. I understand it’s a lot of area to protect with hardware cloth, lots of work. If you had sheep or pigs or goats your fence would be fine but that type isn’t protection for a bird that can stick his/her own neck out through the opening as well as easy access to entry by so many predators.
Yea true. I just think that the whole thing like that would be unnecessary... The hawks we have around here are too small to swoop a chicken. And we have never had problems with the owls, who are a bit smaller. We were planning on getting goats in the summer, so maybe that would help too. But I really do like the roller on the outside of the fence that you gave me. I just don't know where I would buy that specific type of wire at? And we don't have any of the small predators around here, so I don't think the "head through the wire" would be a problem.

And we don't have any of the small predators around here, so I don't think the "head through the wire" would be a problem.
Do not underestimate the kinds of preds that might be around,and what they can do.

Yea that's what it said at the store... and what my dad called it lol. Not super familiar with the terms of fencing.
I am just dying to know the details of fencing lobsters......am not kidding(much).

I am just dying to know the details of fencing lobsters......am not kidding(much).

I assumed someone used that kind of wire for making lobster traps :idunno

They're a cage that gets lowered into the ocean, with a funnel-shaped entrance. Lobsters crawl in and cannot get out, so someone can pull up the cage and harvest the lobsters.

We are putting some money in to repair our fence around the entire backyard so that it looks nicer and can hopefully keep them from entering the yard in the first place.

Also another idea - we were considering getting at least 2 goats sometime soon. Would their size/smell be able to keep the foxes away? Read something about llamas being able to do that, just wondering if goats could do the same.

Also another idea - we were considering getting at least 2 goats sometime soon. Would their size/smell be able to keep the foxes away? Read something about llamas being able to do that, just wondering if goats could do the same.

It may depend on the goats.

But if you want goats, you should check on what kind of fences work well for goats--they are known to be escape artists. So you could end up wanting a covered run just to keep them in! (No personal experience, but I've read/heard too many stories...)

Back
Top Bottom