I need other's ideas if you will

Hennyhandler

SilkieJax
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Cullman
I am wanting to sell my eggs since we get so many. I have family that we give to and someone at work buys them but there are still many left over. I had thought of going to the local farmers market but with the fee to get in I don't know if it would be worth it. I would only have so many sets of eggs do to time and freshness so what else could I sell that would make up for the cost. I thought I could sell blueberries since we have blueberry bushes but what are some other things I could sell at the same time? I have thought of making stuff but I don't have a whole lot of left over time so I don't know if that would work though I am still thinking about it. What are some of your thoughts? thanks for the help.

I had basically the same problem as you and a solution pretty much fell in my lap. After selling to DH's co-workers and two neighbors, I still had quite a few eggs left over. Got tired of cooking eggs for the hens every day, when I don't even cook for myself when DH is working. Thought about the farmer's market, even checked our state regulations for selling there; but like you found the cost and hassle not worth it. Then my neighbor, one of my egg customers, asked me if she could buy up all my extra eggs. I sell them at a discount to her and her brother sells them at his fruit stand.
Do you know someone that is already selling at the farmer's market, might sell the eggs for you for a commision on the sale?

In Alabama, the Health Department will have to approve you to sell any prepared food. And anyone that doesn't like you selling eggs can put a call to the Health Dept, and you will have alot of hassles, about biohazards and such. Sorry to be a buzzkill, but that's the truth. Call the Health Dept first and see what all you have to have. It varies by state.

In Illinois the fee for farmers markets varies on the market...the little one I did was minimal where some of the more populated ones is higher.

Eggs have to be kept in a cooler with ice...according to our health dept. rules. Baked or prepared items can not be cream based because of food born illnesses... And watermelons and big stuff like that...could not be placed on the grass or ground...but rather had to sit on a tarp...since a dog could have peed there before....

Really no big deal.

I will tell you PIES and BREADS sell like hot cakes.

I also went to a small local posh type restaurant who was also very eager to buy locally grown eggs...other than that I sell to my neighbors and my daughters teachers.

It's all about networking...just have to get out there and ask.

We found a guy at the farmer's market that is as broke as we are. He started telling us about the people that sell eggs for $3/dz, I told him that is what ours are. As I am picking up more and more produce, the guy says "Hey, put the produce down and go home and get your eggs and we can trade".

woot.gif

So now, I purposely hold back and few dozen when I need some of what he is selling. Very nice to have fresh peaches, cantaloupe, lettuce and peppers all for the cost of nothing.

You need to be creative in builing your customer base, sell 14 instead of 12 for the dozen price, give a credit for returned cartons and so on. Once you have built your base you just have to keep them that is the hard part, do not run out of eggs buy from others you trust at a break even to keep your market share.

Back
Top Bottom