I need positive stories of guineas raised by chickens.

mamaKate

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
SE MO
I was in Orscheln's last week and, of course, had to stop by the chick cages. They had sold all but one of the guineas (why?!!!) and the little guy was in a screaming frenzy. Several other ladies drifted over and we all agreed that this was NOT ok. When we complained to the clerk he said, "Buy him." I turned to go but only made it about 15 feet. I had $10 with me, so I had to put back my chick starter when I went back to get him; and since he couldn't be brooded alone at my house either, I bought a somewhat older EE to be his big sister. The crying stopped immediately as he snuggled under her pin feathers. She was a little annoyed at first. She adapted quickly and now he's her baby. They're great for now but what will happen as they grow? Is there a guinea flock in my future or can he be integrated with the chickens?
fl.gif
Oh, my son says I'm grounded from Orscheln's.

Last edited:
We raised our guineas with our ducks. 4 guineas 3 of them female, 1 male. with 9 ducks 8 female 1 male. All was well until the guinea girls started laying eggs in the spring. the male guinea attacked our drake. Since then we made them new housing. We have also brooded 3 keets with 2 chicks and 1 duckling. This went very well. They worst thing was having to teach the duck that it was a duck and not a chick or keet. I think if there is just 1 guinea you shouldn't have any problems other people successfully house their guineas and chickens together. There have even been crosses between chickens and guineas. Good luck!

I dont know a for sure answer but I have one guinea that insists on staying with the chickens it was raised with even though I have put it in the coop with the other guineas. So far so good, it just tends to hang with the chickens and ignores the other guineas. I've heard its best to have a group of guineas, but its hard to force one to be a guinea if it thinks its a chicken. Time will tell, this one is about 6 months, and stays with chickens.

Guineas are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
tongue.png

In all seriousness though, I think it just depends on your set-up. Are your chickens caged or free-range?

I have two guineas who live w/ my hens and a single roo and they do just fine. In fact I have a broody chicken sitting on 9 guinea eggs (day 28 today!!!) so I agree its hard to have just one. They are not very smart, but very amusing to watch. My two guineas are a pair and they just adore each other and FREAK out if the other leaves their sight. The male even has to sit next to the hen when she is laying, bet he is a happy camper when the laying season is over!!!
lol.png

I have 2 guinea keets in with 12 EE's and turkens, none know that they aren't all the same
smile.png
I've raised keets with chicks several times and never had bad luck.
My chickens and guineas free range together and all get along great. The guineas definently run the show, but everyone knows their place and there are no issues.

Back
Top Bottom