I need rooster 101

The buff hens are doing right,aggressive mature hens put cockerels in their p[lace and usually helps make boys have good manners,that is why lots hav very good roosters,all the beating and etc is good for them.

See that's part of why we wanted to keep both if possible with the flock because we free range pretty much all day. We have a fair amount of predators and right now half our flock are still chicks. So having two roosters is double the warning system, plus worst case scenario and we lose a rooster to a predator we already have a back up that is with the flock. For the most part the two boys get along pretty well. The white polite boy has started chasing off the brown fella a bit more, but they don't fight and the brown fella just moves outta white boys way. It also doesn't help that my two buff orps. aren't having the boys rough behavior. I might just see if I can get some more mature hens to help replace what we lost to the coyotes and to help keep the roosters and flock happy by spreading the love a bit more.

Honestly, I'd keep them both unless a serious problem develops. #2's rude love-making is normal (from my experience). You can't beat having a backup. And when my roos get to talking with each other, it's priceless. One of the funniest things I've ever seen animals do.

Also, when it comes to looking out for the flock, 4 eyes is better than 2. Mine also free range, and I'm glad to have the extra early warning and noise roos generate.

read this.
That was very insightful and helps to understand what I am seeing between the two roosters. And it will be very useful if either decide to be aggressive to us. Thankfully they are more inclined to get out of our way, which I try to keep it that way.

I thought is was a wonderful post too.
I hope more people read it.
Glad you liked it.

I would keep them both as well.I almost lost my roo to something about a month ago my flock free ranges a fenced backyard during the day and something pulled his back feathers out and put a quarter sized hole in his back.My guy did his job though and the girls were untouched.I love my Hubert dearly but his job is dangerous "although he loves it" and I see myself keeping a spare fella or two just in case.Also here at least the rude sex thing was put to a halt when my biggest hen flogged Hubert into a garbage can and he was pinned there tiill lunch.Hens can say no my friend yes indeed.

The buff hens are doing right,aggressive mature hens put cockerels in their p[lace and usually helps make boys have good manners,that is why lots hav very good roosters,all the beating and etc is good for them.
My buff hens don't let him mate but they don't beat him up. I do have one hen that goes toe to toe with him which is kind of funny. Sadly our first two hens that we lost the same day as the roosters came were our top two hens. So our flock is kinda unsure about the current pecking order, it was all just bad timing.

Dont stress over it,they will settle things.My Cochin bantams are being added and the pecking order is just everywhere,the lead hen runs from them for some reason i do not know of,she will get her spot back,everyone is unsure of who leads what now.

I think I will have my DH read all of this and we shall talk it over. I am leaning towards keeping both as it sounds like its all just normal young stud behavior. If we do keep both we shall continue to watch them and try and see about maybe getting more hens too to help things out until our chicks mature in about two months.

Back
Top Bottom