I need setting buddies, just put eggs in the incubator!! 1/14/13

I haven't been on BYC forever, but I finally have the courage to try baby chicks again. I have had terrible luck apparent Marek's, losing most of my chickens and all of the chicks from the feed store last spring.
sad.png
I almost gave up on chickens all together, but decided to try hatching my own eggs from the surviving hens.

I set 29 on 1/12/13:
- a dozen white leghorns from a farmer in my neighborhood
- eight barnyard mixes, roo is barred rock, hens are barred rocks and red sex links
- 9 of my own, grey Andalusian mix roo, with FBCM hens, barred hen and EE hens.
I am glad you are here. Best of luck with you hatch.

Well I caved and set eggs this week. I didn't have the 3 dozen Black Star I wanted to set so I left those in the egg turner (where they stay until I set them) and pulled out 56 eggs that are a mix of 10yr olds OEGB (haven't had any luck hatching those), 8yr old and 15yr olds Bantam Cochins and Bantam Buff Brahmas and then 14 of the 10yr olds Bantam EE/Phonex cross eggs. So we will see if anything hatches from these. The kids eggs just go in egg cartons until we have room for them in the incubator and they keep the egg cartons tilted and turn them twice a day. Hopefully something hatches from these so they will have their own chicks to play with and leave mine alone, lol.

I'm so excited just set my first batch of the new year {won't be my last} All eggs from some I hatched last year. Got just warm enough here for them to start laying again. Temps dropping again so they may stop.

Set 12 Buff Opr
3 bantys
and the rest is a barnyard mix of Easter eggers
doninikers
and white leghorns

Last edited:
Well along with my 20 in the incubator. I have 25 bantams coming from that Ideal poultry special lol. I am gonna have a totally full house now. My numbers keep rising fast.

What a beauty! I have never had any hen go broody. I've read about it a lot, though. Can you "start it " yourself? Just curious.
No idea.....she is 8 months old and did this all by herself!! She is a Columbian X Who knows, and she decided that she wanted to hatch out her imaginary eggs!! Funniest thing ever to watch a hen turn invisible eggs!!
lau.gif

So we got her some plastic flouresent pink easter eggs and then replaced those with a dozen fertile!! Now she sits and coos to her babies......then turns hairy canary when you walk past the cage in the coop!! On the bright/dark side her twin sister thinks that she would like to get in on the fun!.. I am taking her eggs away though as I didnt have room for 1 to do this never mind 2.

If this keeps up then I am going to have to build another coop.....never mind find some more local fertile eggs in January.

Candled again today....my boys love it.

I have six eggs from my fBCM hens that I hatched two years ago. I can tell their eggs apart because one lays very dark and the other is a bit more splotchy dark. Well it appears that only the one hens eggs were fertilized! I guess Lola isn't getting the love... It was interesting.

I am going to candle my eggs tonight. I can't wait till it gets dark.
fl.gif
I .hope they all are growing. I haven't hatched any for awhile and I feel like a beginner again . I also forgot how exciting it is.
wee.gif

I recieved my chicks from Ideal this morning. We ordered 25 I got 35 WOOHOO!!!!!!

I am candling my eggs tomorrow. cant wait to see how they are coming out

I recieved my chicks from Ideal this morning. We ordered 25 I got 35 WOOHOO!!!!!!

I am candling my eggs tomorrow. cant wait to see how they are coming out
wow that is wonderful! I am so excited for you.
wee.gif
I candled my eggs tonight . I didn't do all but all that I did were developing.
celebrate.gif
So far so good!!

Back
Top Bottom