I need so opinions on making a tough decision (for me atleast)

So I have narrowed down quite alot on what I thought was resonable for a small farm. I have got down to ducks and now I am getting GOATS! I am so excited.
celebrate.gif

70326_100_2003.jpg

These are my Call Ducks. I also raise Goats. We have 18 at the moment.
What are you calling a small farm?
We have:
18 goats
48 laying Hens
7 Ducks
8 Guinie's
25 OEGB's
11 Parrakeets
6 Finches
On about 2 acres. 2/3 of it is Pasture for the Goats

Last edited:
The Ducks I posted are in a 14'X20' Pen. The top is raised to 10'

If the Chickens are fed properly a 20'x20' pen can house about 20 some people may keep more
but i like to give them plenty of room. Mine free range all day so room not a problem.

The goats are going to be a lot of work They have to have both dry and green forage
So if they can't roam you will need to feed everyday. Mine graze a large area. Summer time I keep a round bale
avalible 24/7 and feed once a week with calf manna or sweet feed. Worm every month with a pellet type,
Penned goats tend to get overwieght. This can cause a lot of problems A fat goat isn't a happy goat.

Good luck on your project. I been at it over 40 years. If you have any questions I'll be glad to help if I can.

These are my Spanish Mountan Goats. I also have I Buck and three Nannies of Boar Goats
70326_100_0407.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yea. That's fine. If you got that mush room you can run about 15-20. You could split it and make two grazing pastures. move them back and forth as they graze it down. They will eat it down to the ground if left on it too long.
You can run a disk over it and sow wild grass seed that's good in your area. Your local agriculture extention agent can help on picking proper grass seed. I would still feed the sweet feed once a week. Keep hay for bad weather and suppliment during the summer. Too mush green grass will make them wormy.

If you are getting 3 goats I would get a Buck and 2 nannies. Breed them and sell off the young. Takes 5 months for them to kid and sell the young at 8 weeks. You will need a covered Shelter just big enough for them to get in out of the weather. Open on the south end.

Now with the Duck and Chicken pens. I gave you specks on that. You got more than enough room.

Now if you breed you will be making enough by year 2 to pay the feed bill.

30 good type layers will give you 2 doz eggs a day $2.00 a doz cost $.93 a doz to produce
I get $35 - $40 for my little goats and $75-$100 for my Boars
Ducks sell for $15 ea or $25 a Pair.
The OEGB's I raise sell for $50 - $100 a pair (Show quality) I get $10 - $15 for the culls
Incubate Chicks and sell for $2 ea Hatched out about 500 last year.

A hobby is fine A hobby that can make you money is even finer

Quote:
I would love to have baby goats every year, but I don't think I could do with the whole mating ritual with the stink. About feeding the goats... I am totally loss.
hu.gif
. I don't get the name and what I need to do to feed them. Could you explain in blonde terms?
lol.png
Now, to the chickens and ducks! I have 10 chickens now, and I am looking to get 1-3 more. (Breeds: Polish or BLRW) I only want 5 ducks, so I can make sure I am able to take care of them. Do you know the breeds I am getting? I changed my aviary plans for them. It has been changed to a coop that is 4x6x6 in a 10x15x6-7 feet. Does that sound good for five ducks? And please feel free to tell me more on anything I would need to know about goats, ducks and/or chickens. Thanks so much for all your help!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom