I need some advice...egg bound hen? Infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JensChickies, Feb 16, 2016.

1. JensChickies

JensChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014

Ok, so the vet just left. She is as stumped as me. She took a feeding tube and put lube farther up her vent just in case there is something there. Upon examination if you go farther in her vent area there was something oval shaped, but not as big as an egg. There was a nodule that came out and it looks like pus, so we are thinking of some type of abscess.
    Plan of action is to start antibiotics, she gave my Tylan, but I am going to start baytril, do another warm bath and see how she does. If that doesn't help, then we will go from there.
    @casportpony here is a picture of the nodule/ pus thing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mg15

mg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Well, the plot thickens. I am happy so far possible treatable

3. JensChickies

Mar 26, 2014

I know! She still eating her treats, if she goes down hill, then I will tube her food/ water. The vet has no idea what's going on, she is leaning towards some type of abscess. Who knows?? All I can do is make sure she comfy and not suffering. I put her on baytril and put the tylosin in her water. Lol....she won't drink the water cuz she knows there's something in it. Smart little booger. Well smart for a chicken. ;)

4. mg15

mg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Some hide their attributes because they are frightened and some are just out there and tell you everything I have a girl named talky talk she tells me everything.. I just love them.

1 person likes this.
  5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  6. JensChickies

Mar 26, 2014

I thought that but she just stopped laying an egg. That thing was adhered to the side of her and it just kind of came off. I read about salpingitis and it looks like a grim prognosis

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Did you cut it open?

-Kathy

8. Ket004

Ket004 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2014
    To me that looks like a 'Lash Egg'. I would google more info about that.

9. JensChickies

Mar 26, 2014

No, I could see inside of it. It was the shape of a jelly fish, if that makes sense. It was only about 1.5 cm.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by