I need some advice...egg bound hen? Infection?

JensChickies

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2014
California
Hey everyone,

I have a hen that is acting egg bound since last night. She had a prolapsed vent, but a warm bath and some preparation H fixed that. She is still eating/drinking and her crop is still moving. Not as perky as she normally is, but I guess that's too be expected. I gloved up and could not feel an egg, so I am worried it might be stuck farther up. She was in last night, but I put her out in the yard so I could clean her hospital ward, and she ran rightt to the nesting box and has been in there since.

I am not sure what to do. Since we fixed her prolapse, she started pooping, it's runny/ solid, but there were pretty solid ones last night.

Does anybody have any ideas. Oviduct infection? Egg stuck where I can't feel?? Help is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Some hide their attributes because they are frightened and some are just out there and tell you everything I have a girl named talky talk she tells me everything.. I just love them.

Could she be starting to go broody? Is her chest or belly clean of feathers? Will she pull any eggs under her set in front of her? Does she cluck and have her tail in an inverted V if you take her away from her nest?

Could she be starting to go broody? Is her chest or belly clean of feathers? Will she pull any eggs under her set in front of her? Does she cluck and have her tail in an inverted V if you take her away from her nest?

No she's not broody for sure. She's not acting broody at all. She was prolapsed, but luckily it's staying in now. Now she hasn't pooped very much, so now my concern level is going up. Still no egg. I put her in a sink full of water twice yesterday, but I'm hesitant to do that now just because she isn't feeling better.

She's two, I'm afraid she might be developing ascites or already has it. She's a bigger hen so she's always been poofy in the area around her vent. I just don't know if it's getting bigger than normal and I don't want to poke her if I'm not sure there is fluid in the area.

I was thinking about just starting her on baytril. I am at a loss. No have a vet coming to look at her, she will be able tell if there is fluid in her abdomen. Unfortunately, some vets don't prescribe baytril, so I will have to see what she thinks. I have my ways tho if I do need some. I don't want to loose this hen, she is the head honcho in my Fock and she keeps things very peaceful, and she is my sons chicken. I will just have to see what the vet thinks then Ho from there.

Thank you for the advice. :)

I would start Baytril. If you decide to give calcium as well, give it a few hours after you give Baytril since Baytril will bind with the calcium.

-Kathy

I would start Baytril. If you decide to give calcium as well, give it a few hours after you give Baytril since Baytril will bind with the calcium.

-Kathy

Hey Kathy! How are you doing? Thanks for the advice. I don't think she is egg bound, but if the vet won't give baytril, then I will just give it myself. ;)
She is just acting like she is straining to get something out, but there is nothing in there. I will see what the vet says.

Back
Top Bottom