I need some advice...egg bound hen? Infection?

The vet yesterday consulted with another chicken vet and she said the other vet thinks it could be an egg stuck farther up in her oviduct. I guess that's possible????

Thank u for the link, I read through that and figured her only shot is the baytril. Only time will tell.

The vet yesterday consulted with another chicken vet and she said the other vet thinks it could be an egg stuck farther up in her oviduct. I guess that's possible????

Thank u for the link, I read through that and figured her only shot is the baytril. Only time will tell.
That's about all you can do, that and keep her well hydrated.

-Kathy

I just remembered! Last year I had a duck that was looking off, so I brought her inside, started her on Baytril and she passed something that looked a lot like what your hen had in her. Finished her Baytril and back out she went. Some time passed, but she did start laying again, so there is a chance your hen will be okay.

-Kathy

Thanks Kathy, we will see. I wish there was more I could do for her. She is my little ones chicken, so I'm really trying to get her better. Hopefully whatever it is I caught it early.

So we took her to the Avian vet, two vets agreed, it's def an egg!! They want to do surgery, but I'm not willing to do that. We are going to give her tramadol, antinflammatory, and keep going with the baytril. They refuse to attempt to remove the egg, the only way they will is with surgery. Soooo they sent us home with tramadol, and anti inflammatories. Let's hope for the best

I was already tubinf fluids, I didn't want to have her become dehydrated and complicate the situation. I am crushing up tums and giving them to her in her water I'm tubing. D, E, and oxytocin they mentioned nothing about.

She is acting a lot spunkier that she has. She is talking a lot more than what she has and is more interested in food. I think she is benefiting from the baytril. But that stupid egg has to come out!!!!

I was already tubinf fluids, I didn't want to have her become dehydrated and complicate the situation. I am crushing up tums and giving them to her in her water I'm tubing. D, E, and oxytocin they mentioned nothing about.
You might want to try liquid calcium gluconate instead and I think it's easier for them to absorb than the calcium in Tums.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom