I need some advice on adding Bantam hens to my existing flock of standard size

Just some thoughts:
What are youre plans with you're rooster? Do you have him for breeding? Protecting the flock? If you can sell/give away the rooster there is no problem anymore with the hens. A smaller adult rooster could work too. But for now I would keep him apart from you're hens until they are fine. And consider adding larger hens if you want to keep him. There are mille fleurs in some larger breeds too. But maybe difficult to get hold on?

I understand you really like these bantams in the mille fleur colour. I have some too. Nantes de Tournaisis. They are a breed from Belgium. They come only in this multi-colour but I don't even know if you can buy this breed in the USA. The bantams you like to buy are probably a mix breed.

Did you ask about diseases and vaccinations.? Eg. If yours are vaccinated for marek and these bantams are not, you can not breed you're own chicks without risk. Think about quarantine too.
all my chickens including the rooster are just for pets.... I don't eat or sell any of them, and i'm not planning to really expand within my own flock - well, maybe i'll try my hand at raising chicks from eggs, but not right now ! :) I will keep the bantams apart for a while, but I will need them to sleep in my coop with all the others. I think it will work if i'm diligent and keep close contact on them - i work from home so that helps THANK you for your help

hey thanks for all your comments....here is a picture of the birds for sale that i'm looking to purchase - i think 1 of these is a roo but I'm not getting him

They’re D’Uccle’s. How many are you getting? I just don’t personally think it’s a great idea at the moment while your large rooster is being rough with your large hens. But I will tag @aart as they’re far more knowledgable than me and may be able to help you more or tag someone else that does.

Last edited:
When you keep everything as pets, and won't sell or cull any of them, you can wind up in a mess of misery. Not all birds get along. A lot depends on your space and how your coop/run is set up, but most of us at one time or another will wind up with a bird or birds that do not work in the flock we have.

Chicken math gets most of us, and I can certainly understand wanting to pick up those pretty birds, but chicken math really has to work both ways, as most often the coop/run do NOT change size. If you can't subtract birds, be wary of adding birds.

I keep a flock, but the birds in the flock change. I can admit that some birds I like better than others. I keep those birds, and let others go. A happy flock can only be arranged by controlling who is in the flock. Wishing they would all be nice won't work.

SO measure your coop, count your birds, and go into this knowing, if I take these birds, I might have to get rid of others, or just keep the birds you have.

Mrs K

They’re D’Uccle’s. How many are you getting? I just don’t personally think it’s a great idea at the moment while your large rooster is being rough with your large hens. But I will tag @aart as they’re far more knowledgable than me and may be able to help you more or tag someone else that does.
thanks.... i was thinking about 2 hens - the woman has 5 . but it's dead of winter here and i worry about introducing new chickens especially bantams, into my flock...so i know it comes down to me making a decision !! :) .

When you keep everything as pets, and won't sell or cull any of them, you can wind up in a mess of misery. Not all birds get along. A lot depends on your space and how your coop/run is set up, but most of us at one time or another will wind up with a bird or birds that do not work in the flock we have.

Chicken math gets most of us, and I can certainly understand wanting to pick up those pretty birds, but chicken math really has to work both ways, as most often the coop/run do NOT change size. If you can't subtract birds, be wary of adding birds.

I keep a flock, but the birds in the flock change. I can admit that some birds I like better than others. I keep those birds, and let others go. A happy flock can only be arranged by controlling who is in the flock. Wishing they would all be nice won't work.

SO measure your coop, count your birds, and go into this knowing, if I take these birds, I might have to get rid of others, or just keep the birds you have.

Mrs K
best advice i've gotten thank you - right now, besides the "aggressive mating" everything works well. the 2 roosters (large ameraucana and small silkie) get along well and no fighting. the hens dont seem to mind the breeding, and it has slowed down as january has become brrrr cold. i think i should at least wait until Spring to expand my flock, i do need a few more hens for sure, but maybe these cute little bantams would be better for someone that has a separate run for them. thanks again ....!!

I’m not sure these are Belgium Uccles. The photo’s are not sharp enough for me to see any details, Hoe old are the chicks/pullets?
I agree with Aart that the one chick with the red comb probably is a cockerel.

I agree with other posters that it would be wise to handle the problem with the rough rooster first.
IMO If you want to keep the rooster you probably need a larger run / more hiding places. Especially If you add more and smaller chickens they should have places where the hens can escape from the rooster.
How much coop/ run space do you have now?
Pictures? 📸

I’m not sure these are Belgium Uccles. The photo’s are not sharp enough for me to see any details, Hoe old are the chicks/pullets?
I agree with Aart that the one chick with the red comb probably is a cockerel.

I agree with other posters that it would be wise to handle the problem with the rough rooster first.
IMO If you want to keep the rooster you probably need a larger run / more hiding places. Especially If you add more and smaller chickens they should have places where the hens can escape from the rooster.
How much coop/ run space do you have now?
Pictures? 📸
i'll take pics - the coop is like this one (15 chicken coop and i have only 7) - the run is very long and diverse, probably in feet 100ft all fenced and covered with poultry mesh so no predators. so all this wont be a problem. I also maybe made my large Ameraucana rooster to be a "bad" guy. he's actually pretty calm, but does have 2 girlfriends (his sisters....) that get mounted several times a day. I have a smaller splash silkie roo 1yr old that will probably love the mille fleur bantam hens - they are 1 yr old hens. I think i will get them and just be diligent in making sure they are treated right within the flock. :)

Attachments

• chickencoops7.jpg
    chickencoops7.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Ji ji.jpg
    Ji ji.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom