I need some advice on adding Bantam hens to my existing flock of standard size

So everyone that's helped - I got the 2 d'uccles last week and I've had no problems so far, some pecking from my golden polish (she's the lowest on the existing totem pole) - the d'uccles have a big wisteria vine to hide in . The big easter egger roo is relaxed now, which is great. I know things can change and I will watch diligently. These sweet d'uccles were kept under a porch in the dark all of their life, no grass and not much light at all. Their feet had mud balls that are so hard it's like cement. And 1 of them, the white one, had a toe cut off (the previous owner must have been trying to cut the mud out) . anyway, i'm going to get the owner's remaining 3 hens today, I can't bear to think of these living in the dark and not pecking in grass in the sun. :) thanks for all your adviceView attachment 2010558
View attachment 2010560
So glad you are going to rescue them all, I just don't understand the conditions some people keep their chickens in. I wonder why keep them at all. These are beautiful little hens.

I have 4 Ameraucana (3 hens, 1 rooster), 2 polish hens and a splash silkie rooster (he runs the flock...lol) . Mine all get along great now, but my Ameraucana roo is really big - he has 2 of my Am. hens almost bare on their hind quarters from aggressive mating.

Question - a local person has Mille fluer hens and I've wanted to add some of these for a long time, they are so beautiful!! do you all think these bantams will mix well with the flock? I dont' know anything about generalized Mille Fluer behavior. i will have them isolated for sure for the first week or 2, a run within my large run with the flock. thankx
I have exactly what you want the Americana too will breed the Mill e Fluer hens I’ve seen it but no harm so far and not that often that I see But they get along fine

My birds are free range only close on roost . I have 30 large and 13 Bantams 3 Bantam Roos in the mix two lg Roos Americana And Buff op Roos they have their own. Free run gangs but all get along very well minimal fighting

SEEMS LIKE FREE RANGE CHICKENS IN MY POINT OF VIEW GET ALONG BETTER ,I HAVE PUT NEW HENS IN WITH THE FLOCK,I PUT THEM IN THE NITE WHEN THERE ALL ROOSTING,MAYBE TWO DAYS LATER NO PRONLEM,BUT ALL MY CHICKENS ARE COCHIN BANTIES AND CURYL AND ACOUPLE SILKIES THEY ARE ALWAYS ON OUR HUGE LAWN,THAT HAS HIGH WOODEN FENCE ALL AROUND IT . I JUST KEEP ONE ROOSTER FOR 12 HENS AND HE IS A HAPPY CAMPER ,LIKE THEM BETTER THAN THE BIG HENS I USE TO OWN, THESE LOVE PEOPLE ,WILL FOLLOW ME AROUND TALKING AT ME, HAVE TWO THAT WILL EVEN SET ON MY LAP,I THINK HENS ARE SO MUCH HAPPIER BEING FREE RANGE, BUT KEEP ONLY ONE GOOD LITTLE BANTY ROOSTER , GENO

I have 4 Ameraucana (3 hens, 1 rooster), 2 polish hens and a splash silkie rooster (he runs the flock...lol) . Mine all get along great now, but my Ameraucana roo is really big - he has 2 of my Am. hens almost bare on their hind quarters from aggressive mating.

Question - a local person has Mille fluer hens and I've wanted to add some of these for a long time, they are so beautiful!! do you all think these bantams will mix well with the flock? I dont' know anything about generalized Mille Fluer behavior. i will have them isolated for sure for the first week or 2, a run within my large run with the flock. thankx
my understanding is at least 8 hens to each roo, otherwise the girls get worn out, loose back feathers and if it gets bad they, get bloody then you really begin to see how carnivorous chickens can be!!! they eat their own, oooou, sorry!!! some hens are more submissive than others and will be mounted more and become more apt to the overuse!!!.... Mille Fleur is a breed and beautiful....all ours are aggressive naturally, very protective roos, I handle each chick daily and talk to them but they still are aggressive. the roo dance to scare you away from his hens is beautiful, he turns sideways and spreads his wings full downwards and does little hops toward you and paces back and forth and quickly jumps and flutters upward toward you to scare you away!!! and then starts the dance all over again until you go away!! the best time to add chickens to your existing flock is late in the evening when they are winding down, they don't get too pecking order crazy then....hope some of this helps, have fun!! star in texas at chickenscratch farm

here's wikipedia def of mille fleur,...mille Fleur may refer to: Birds. Mille Fleur, the common U.S. name for the Belgian Bearded d'Uccle chicken. Decorative Art. Mille-fleur, French for " a Thousand flowers." when I have ordered from cackle hatchery or ideal poultry they are under cochen bantams, cochen is the feathers go down the legs also, adorable! cackle has 3 different breeds of mille fleur bantams,....we have kept up to 12 chickens in a 7x7x4 foot chain link dog cage. we cover it with tarps partially and move it to new grass every other day....that way they aren't living in their poop field! when they are fully grown, usually 6 months, we'll put them in with all the others in an electric fenced area that has a chicken barn, roosts inside. we also keep a couple of the same chain link cages, open doored , inside the fenced area and they regularly go into them, probably because they are familiar....have fun and let us know how it goes, star in texas at chickenscratch farm

here's wikipedia def of mille fleur,...mille Fleur may refer to: Birds. Mille Fleur, the common U.S. name for the Belgian Bearded d'Uccle chicken. Decorative Art. Mille-fleur, French for " a Thousand flowers." when I have ordered from cackle hatchery or ideal poultry they are under cochen bantams, cochen is the feathers go down the legs also, adorable! cackle has 3 different breeds of mille fleur bantams,....we have kept up to 12 chickens in a 7x7x4 foot chain link dog cage. we cover it with tarps partially and move it to new grass every other day....that way they aren't living in their poop field! when they are fully grown, usually 6 months, we'll put them in with all the others in an electric fenced area that has a chicken barn, roosts inside. we also keep a couple of the same chain link cages, open doored , inside the fenced area and they regularly go into them, probably because they are familiar....have fun and let us know how it goes, star in texas at chickenscratch farm
thank you!! Everything is going well so far - I got 5 of the Mille Fleur d'uccles hens (1 yr old) and 2 are already part of the main flock and doing great - they're sleeping in the coop with my standard flock already - the other 3 I have in a special cage inside my coop during the day for a few days until they get their bearings (I purchased 2 last tuesday 1-21 and then got 3 more on Saturday 1-25, those are in special cage). The bantams are so cute and make an interesting noise unlike my other standard hens.

I’m running quite a mixed flock and everyone gets along fine. I have larger laying hens, standard silver laced polish roo and hens, silkies, sizzles, a cochin and 2 Dutch bantams, hen and roo. (lost a couple this winter due to hen foolishness and second roo got laid on by a sheep, will be attempting to make more in the spring. The two bantams hang around together as mates, even though she came after the polish. He does not seem to pay her any mind at this point. My roosters get along fine once they established who was the king. They have a lot of room to co mingle and everyone roosts in the barn. You can see my little black hen on the left in both shots. I’d say go for it if you have the room. They are beautiful little birds.

Attachments

• 97C22F58-A62D-4A24-B5C2-948B8377D241.jpeg
    97C22F58-A62D-4A24-B5C2-948B8377D241.jpeg
    951.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 45D9F808-471F-4FA6-9B2B-6F7B288F2E18.jpeg
    45D9F808-471F-4FA6-9B2B-6F7B288F2E18.jpeg
    530.1 KB · Views: 5
I’m running quite a mixed flock and everyone gets along fine. I have larger laying hens, standard silver laced polish roo and hens, silkies, sizzles, a cochin and 2 Dutch bantams, hen and roo. (lost a couple this winter due to hen foolishness and second roo got laid on by a sheep, will be attempting to make more in the spring. The two bantams hang around together as mates, even though she came after the polish. He does not seem to pay her any mind at this point. My roosters get along fine once they established who was the king. They have a lot of room to co mingle and everyone roosts in the barn. You can see my little black hen on the left in both shots. I’d say go for it if you have the room. They are beautiful little birds.
You have some sweet chickens !! I love the polish , they are my favorite so far !!

Back
Top Bottom