I need some advice on adding Bantam hens to my existing flock of standard size

You have some sweet chickens !! I love the polish , they are my favorite so far !!
my understanding is at least 8 hens to each roo, otherwise the girls get worn out, loose back feathers and if it gets bad they, get bloody then you really begin to see how carnivorous chickens can be!!! they eat their own, oooou, sorry!!! some hens are more submissive than others and will be mounted more and become more apt to the overuse!!!.... Mille Fleur is a breed and beautiful....all ours are aggressive naturally, very protective roos, I handle each chick daily and talk to them but they still are aggressive. the roo dance to scare you away from his hens is beautiful, he turns sideways and spreads his wings full downwards and does little hops toward you and paces back and forth and quickly jumps and flutters upward toward you to scare you away!!! and then starts the dance all over again until you go away!! the best time to add chickens to your existing flock is late in the evening when they are winding down, they don't get too pecking order crazy then....hope some of this helps, have fun!! star in texas at chickenscratch farm
bantam roos are a trip! I have a splash silkie 1.5yr old roo and he does the same dance !!

Bantams are too small to be with big roosters. Not a good mix.
I've learned fast it's really not the rooster in my flock i have to worry about with the bantams, its the other standard hens!! They're aggressive and peck at the d'uccles and chase them around my chicken run. Luckily, there are a lot of hiding places, including up in trees and under a huge wisteria vine, for the bantams... I think like some have said, that's the ticket if you're gonna have mixed flocks - standard and bantam . - make sure there are plenty of hiding places in the run. Here's to happy chicken raising!!!!

Yes. Things can happen within minutes so watch carefully that the bigger Hens don't corner one and try to peck her to death. That's why I don't have standards with my Bantams.
My little barred rock bantam hen ruled the roost. Even against hens 3.5 lbs bigger than she was. She was a force to be reckoned with. We called her President Penguin as she used to sit up on top of a fence giving speeches while all the hens below looked up listening.

Back
Top Bottom