I need some advice on how to help a broody hen raise a surprise clutch of four in Central PA’s weather, please…

Unruffled

Songster
5 Years
Aug 13, 2018
My birds free range during the day and we didn’t even realize this little lady was sitting on eggs until she showed up with four little ones in tow a week ago. It was getting close to evening so we put her and the chicks in a pen in the barn with a heat light and provisions. She is a good Mama ( I didn’t know Black Sex Links were broody). I have since added a second heat light for colder nights. My question is, how long should I keep them confined?

The chicks don’t nned a heat light if they are with the broody. The way I have handled chicks with a broody, is to place them in a pen or dog crate inside the coop with food and water. On day 3 I open the crate door and she will take them out among the others, to show them where they can get food and water, and will teach them how to forage. On that first time, make sure the broody is protecting the chicks. They will go under her for warmth throughout the day, and they may go back inside the crate or pen each night until she teaches them to roost. Once I had a broody who abandoned her chicks after 2 weeks, and her chicks were already part of the flock, and they were fine as they stuck together. Usually most broodies will remain with them for 5-7 weeks. Good luck.

The broody did fine incubating them on her own and brought the chicks back a week ago in order to integrate them into the flock. She can keep them warm as required, and should be able to protect them from other flock members should that be necessary. The longer you keep them apart, the harder you will make her job of integrating them successfully.

The chicks don’t nned a heat light if they are with the broody. The way I have handled chicks with a broody, is to place them in a pen or dog crate inside the coop with food and water. On day 3 I open the crate door and she will take them out among the others, to show them where they can get food and water, and will teach them how to forage. On that first time, make sure the broody is protecting the chicks. They will go under her for warmth throughout the day, and they may go back inside the crate or pen each night until she teaches them to roost. Once I had a broody who abandoned her chicks after 2 weeks, and her chicks were already part of the flock, and they were fine as they stuck together. Usually most broodies will remain with them for 5-7 weeks. Good luck.
Agreed.
If it makes you feel better, supply her with extra straw or deep bedding wherever she hunkers down (nest) with her chicks at night, that way they have a little extra insulation under her.
If she's able to take the chicks and mingle with the flock, usually that's best, less drama when it comes time for her to wean them.

Back
Top Bottom