I Need Some Advice...

Clucky Cluckers

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 27, 2009
I'm thinking about getting some new hens... How could i introduce the new hens to my flock with-out them getting into fights????? I'm new to this so i don't know much.....
hu.gif

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif

It is standard advise to keep them quarantined for 1 month - they should not share food, water, air, totally separate. Then put them where they can see each other but not get to each other for at least a week or two. Then they will be used to seeing each other - if they are all the same size @ this point you can integrate (try to have some hiding areas for anyone who might get too picked on). They will have to sort out their pecking order but this should go rather quickly.
HTH
Nadine

Edit for spelling error...

Last edited:
I agree with both of these, although i usually just put them all together at the same time and let them duel it out....you can call me mean if you like but after a day or two, everyone is mixed and getting along. The new ones may get a peck from time to time, but thats how chickens act 24/7. Your call...

I have only added new birds once. After the quarantine, I made a pen with bird netting in the are where the rest free ranges. I put the new girls in it on a Friday evening for a couple of hours. There was some aggression through the net but no one could get to the other. I did it again for a couple of hours the next morning and then let the new girls out. At the same time, I put out several handfuls of scratch to distract them. The squabbling after that was minor. Here is a picture of the worse thing that happened.

13250_p1010117.jpg

Back
Top Bottom